Trail Riding in OH, VA, WVA and points South

Started by LynnCamp, August 29, 2003, 05:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LynnCamp

I finally bought a bike and am heading out for a short week of trying to get acclimated to riding again (with the new challenge of not being able to touch my feet to the ground).

Can anyone recommend some large places to ride between Illinois and say... through OH, WVA, Virginia or N.C.?  I found some places on the Internet:  Brushy Mountain, N.C., WVA Hatfield and McCoy and the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests in VA.  There were a bunch in GA, but maybe I don't have to go that far south.

Thanks!!

john durrill

Lynn,
 a group of us rode the Brushy mountain site last spring.Its a good site well run. you should like it very much. its steep so gear for the mountain's.
 John & Peter

Rocket

Lynn
If you live in the Chicago area, go around the corner up into Michigan.  They have over 700 miles of trails to ride.  That should get you started again.
Rocket

Paul Danik

Lynn,
What machine did you end up with?
Paul

Mick Milakovic

Lynn, there is a place called "The Badlands" near Lafayette in Indiana.  Indiana is opening an OHV in the south part of the state soon, but I don't know any more than that.  Also, Rocket is right.  Michigan has one of the best-developed off-road trail system in the midwest.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

LynnCamp

Hi Paul,
Would you believe that I ended up getting a 2004 KTM EXC!  I may end up having to get the suspension lowered so I can get closer to the ground.... but I am going to break it in the way it is first.

I still long for the vintage bike, but it will have to be on the side, cuz I am worried about being able to get parts and time to work on it.  (I typically work 60 hour weeks at my day job and design websites in my spare time.)

LynnCamp

Mick and Rocket,
I would love to get more info on what's available in the Midwest -- and do weekend trips.  However, I have a whole week next week and figure I can reach some places I wouldn't be able to reach on weekends.

Don Roth

Lynn..
In Ohio, check out the Wayne National Forest,
45 minutes East of Columbus,requires a permit, but ample trails.
-don

rob w

Lynn,

Right here on POG, click on links.

Go to "Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan"

All the trails in the lower peninsula are in the northern half, or start from about 4 hours from Chicago, from there they're more  to the north than you could ride in a season.

They are well marked single tracks and atv trails (wider than single track), that usually always loop back to your trail head.

The ones in the upper peninsula are more wilderness-like and less used, so they're not as whooped-out and you'll see more rocks and less sand.

Warning: Firearm deer season begins Nov. 15th, I like to stay out of the woods around that time. But at least you have an orange bike now.

If you don't have hand guards, get them.

Good luck with your new machine,
Bob

LynnCamp

Thanks for all of the tips on riding spots.  I was surprised to learn that Wayne Forest is the only national park in Ohio -- but it's good that they have provided some OHV trails.  

The Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan link is an awsome resource!  It looks like they have an amazing array of events and trails. Just as I was wishing I lived down South, it looks like there is some advantage to being up here in the Windy City given the proximity to the Michigan trails.

Well we are off to the Badlands and then other points South.  Have a great Labor Day holiday everyone!!!!

Dave Withrow

If you were heading through WVa. give the Hatfield-McCoy trail system a try.  It's in the southwest area near the Man/Logan area.  I'm from there but haven't had the time to get back there and ride it.

drtrnr

I've tried many of the parks and the Hatfield & McCoy in Southern WV is my favorite. It has so much area you'll never cover it all. It's beautiful country and there are trails for all skill levels. The AMA was highly involved in developing the whole idea. Have fun, John A

LynnCamp

Thanks again for the advice.... we just got back from my road trip.  Went to the Hatfield-McCoy "Water Ways" trailhead outside of Charleston, W.Va. which was super! Also heard from the locals that the area around Charleston is full of unposted trails if you just ask at one of the bike shops.

Next went to the Washington and Jefferson National Forests in the Shenendoah Valley/Blue Ridge Mountains, VA.  Got rained out for all but two hours, but what little I saw looks like it could be some great riding.

Since it continued to rain in Virginia, it made sense to head West away from the rain to Kentucky and the Land Between the Lakes Recreational area which has 100 miles of trails with all levels of difficulty and any kind of challenge you can imagine.  It was incredibly beautiful with views of the lake and deer and other wildlife were criss-crossing the trail  -- the engine noise didn't even seem to phase them.  

It was a great riding, but the Park Ranger cautioned that the place is crawling with ATV, dune buggies and every other kind of four-wheeler on weekends – so he recommended only riding there during the week.  There are also mudholes that he said were as deep as his chest (luckily I didn't find one).  Last but not least, a couple of the trails end in a cliff drop-off into either the lake or a rock quarry so you have to read the terrain (or your map).

El-Viejo

I just found out about a place called "Coal Creek" located outside of Oak Ridge, TN.  It is managed by the Wind Rock ATV club. http://www.tommyrhea.com/coalcreek.htm, http://www.windrockatv.com/.  Camping and hotels nearby!  One of my peers in Tenn visits there frequently with his grandson. They both ride KTM's.

Another great place that a my wife and I will vist this season is Big South Fork.  I spans from Kentucky to Tennessee and covers 125,310 acres!  http://www.nps.gov/biso/

This is a great thread!!!  We pick up my wife's bike this weekend, she is a newby so I am starting her off on a vintage XL 125 4 stroke.  I am returniung to off-road after a very long hiatus.  I have continued to ride on-road throughout the years.
Age is a tate of mind and an affliction of the body.

LynnCamp

Thanks Oscar for the info on Coal Creek.  The views are incredible!  Did you ride your GS-250 there?  I couldn't find much info on Big Fork...looks like not much of that area is designated for off-road vehicles--just some 4-wheel roads?

Fantastic that you got your wife a 125.  She will love it!!!  A few weeks ago we did a three state loop to 3 parks not far from you that had some great trails for beginners.  One is a state park just a couple of miles from Chatanooga,TN with plenty of easy trails (couldn't find the web link):

US National Forest:   Cherokee
City/Town:   Chattanooga
Directions:   Take I-27 north to the Signal Mtn. exit. Go toward Signal Mtn. until you come to Suck Creek Rd. and take a left. Continue for about six miles until you reach the top of the ridge. Then take another left onto the road marking the entrance to the state park. Follow the signs marked Prentice Cooper.
Description:   Great wooded area, with lots of trails. Most trails are easy riding, but there are enough obstacles, rocks and streams to make it exciting. The main road is a very long gravel road with many off-chutes down thru winding trails. Trails are very well maintained. Great for a relaxing day in the woods.
Trail Length:   25 miles

Not too far from Atlanta is Durhamtown that has 40 miles of very easy one-way single track. (plus MX track, etc).  They have a lodge, cabin rentals and camping.  Might be worth the drive for you since it is an easy, controlled riding environment.  http://www.durhamtown.com/dirtbike.htm (the website doesn't do it justice).
We also hit Brown Mountain, which might be a little too rocky for a beginner.  http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/brown_mountain_orv.pdf

Happy trails!!!!