Tail light

Started by Rocket, September 01, 2003, 01:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket

I am restoring a 72 6-day and I am in need of the metal mounting plate for the small rectangle tail light.  Anybody have one they would like to get rid of?  
Also I have a question on how the front number plate was mounted using the small headlight.  I have a brochure from 72 and it does not show a clear picture on how it was mounted.  On the big headlight it mounts directly to the light.  With the small headlight, it looks like it mounts to the fork tubes.  Anybody know for sure?
thanks in advance,
Rod

rob w

Hi Rod,

The 72 enduro's front number plate is mounted using the same system as the 72 MX. The metal channel that straddles the fork tubes, with the rubber band across the back.

bob

Rocket

Bob
Thanks, for the info, now if you could just come up with the metal plate for the tail light!  Are you fully recovered from the Mid-Ohio venture?
Rod

Doug Wilford

Rocket the original small rectangular tail light was mounted on a rubber flap.   Loop the front of the flap under then attach the bottom.  That is how that tail light was used on the early models.  The bottom of the flap was about the size of a liscense plate then tapered to a little larger width than the light and continued that width till the length desired was reached.  The overall length was about 12-16" I think!

Lew Mayer

Bob,
I know what you mean about possibly destroying a refurbished bike doing MX. I'm trying to find more cross-country events to ride. I think they can be easier on a bike. Not as many jumps and such and an hour or two wears me out just fine. Plus you can ride them like a trail ride if that's your pace for the day. Ride for fun is the priority,right? I know you other guys out there have thoughts on this.

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

Rocket

Bob
Glad to hear you are doing okay.  If there is anything that I can do for you, let me know.
The metal plate was large enough for a licence plate and the samll taillight.  It was mounted with 3 small rubber mounts, the size that is on the crossbar speedo mount.  My 73 Jackpiner had that setup and the pictures in the 72 brochure show the same thing.  One sold on ebay probably a year ago and I missed the bid, computer problems.  I have seen the rubber flap mounts also, just looking for the metal one.  Maybe someone has one that I could use to make a pattern.
Trailriding to me is the most fun you can have on a dirt bike.  Sounds like some trailriding would be a great time.  The Forrest City Riders club has a trailride, dual sport, event the 1st of November that is a great time.  Should be no problem on a Vintage bike.  The event is held south and west of Rockford, Illinois.
Rod

Larry Perkins

On the how hard on the bike thing.  I disagree.  My experiences are just the opposite.  Vintage cross country is about an hour long.  I can run a bike in MX several races to get in an hour of running time.  My cross country bikes always get muddier, more scratched up, and have more parts replaced that get gacked.  Many times after a vinyage MX I can wipe the bike down with paper towel and window cleaner.  With cross country It is always DIRTY.

Mike OReilly

I've got the metal plate tailight mounting system you describe, on my Jackpiner. It should be very easy to duplicate. Bug me a bit and I will send you photos and the specs, or maybe just have one made for you. I'm really jammed up trying to get ready for Mass. so it won't happen quick.
e-mail: [email protected]
Mike

firstturn

Rod - I just purchased a original 1972 Jackpiner with Enduro kit installed by the dealer.  This is the early '72 model with the Amil carb.  I looked in '72/'73 catelog and it showed the rubber mount with the small light.  The only reason I bring it up is for originallity you may be able to go either way.  And this one I bought still has the original license plate(1973) so I think it was avalible. Just telling you what I have.  Thanks again for the offer on the ears that is resolved with me being out bid and my friend has my set - again Thanks

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rocket

Ron
They must have been offered in both variations.  My parts book shows the metal plate.  It looks like I could go either way on the taillight.
Rod

firstturn

Let me know I purchased another bike today that had the flap that we can use a template to make a new one( the rubber is in bad shape).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Blue_Dog

Ron:

You sneaky rascal. Is that the one you told me about? (175)

Your friend,

B-D

Kip Kern

You can still buy the rubber plate holder with tail light from modern bike shops.  I can't remember who has them, i.e. KK or Dennis Kirk or someone else but I saw a few in the shop where I trade.  Cost is around $30-$40 and it is for a 12volt system which is even better so you don't blow bulbs!  Look like the older ones only new!

firstturn

Blue Dog send me you e-mail address andor acall me(832.722.0408 or 713.662.0351) and I will tell you about this Jackpiner.  The one I sent you the phone numbeto is still there.  [email protected]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dennis D

Ron, What kind of #'s on the bike with the metal plate? My had the metal plate and a number of 125 on the motor. Dennis D