Boy do I feel stupid......!

Started by Steve Minor, September 06, 2003, 02:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I've finally straightened out my carb problems and boy do I feel stupid! I totally rebuilt my Bing 54/38/101. After that, I was still having carb problems. I discovered that I screwed up on the rebuild reassembly! Somehow put the needle and clip INSIDE the plastic cup and not under it. Once I realized that and corrected the problem, my 77' 400 GS6 screams like it should. I'm still in a break-in mode from a recent motor rebuild so I'm taking it easy for a while and checking the head torque often. I can't wait to really cut it loose.

Thanks to everyone who took time to give me advice and I really apologize for the "brain fart".....

Steve

Edited by - steve minor on 09/08/2003  08:12:58 AM
Steve Minor

tmc3c

It takes a big man to admit to a brain fart!and we all have them ! Glad to hear you got your toy running strong !

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

James

Actually Steve that's a small one. I found out my 250 Penton would run almost a lap wide open with the gas turned off. Or how about not tightneing the gas cap good. I couldn't stop since I was 3rd overall and leading my class in the moto. But it sure was hot. Those pants got thrown away. LOL
Glad to hear it's going good.  James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

firstturn

Great job Steve-I did notice the barometric pressure change yesterday.  Just what time did the "brain fart" occure so I report to the local weatherman.  Carburetors are simple, but they sure have caused plenty of head aches for all of us.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Blue_Dog

Steve:

I take back the lighter in the garage joke.
Still don't know why you were having fuel on the floor even with the problem you found.
Good Luck,
B-D

tomale

Steve, I went to school....many years ago..... to be a auto mechanic. but I never could go through with it because I was always worried that I was going to either put something in backwards or leave something out. To this day that is why on the gas cap of my bike there is a "turn the gas on dummy" sticker. I do not know how many times I have left the starting line only to find that somewhere in the middle of the first lap my bike dies due to lack of petrol. In fact I did it yesterday. I finished 2nd the first moto and lost track of time and got to the line too late to line up with everyone else and was dead last into the first corner, by the time I made it to the second corner my bike began to die. Being the genius that I am I imediatly knew what it was and reached down and turned the thing on. It took a few more seconds before the bike would run right because of the lack of fuel but soon I was on my way. I did ok though I finish second for the day.
Glad to hear that it was not something really difficult to fix. I have been reading about your problem and I was racking my brain trying to figure out what could be causing the problem. Everything that I thought it was someone else had thought of and a few I did not think of.
The up side is that you may have helped me to understand the world of carbs better.
Keep the tank side up,

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

cardojr

Steve-don't feel too bad--I bump started my Victor for 2 years before I figured out I had the throttle screw and the low speed in the wrong holes-oops
47 and still dumb as a rock
rob

dirtbike

Steve Minor

I know how my bike ran with the mistake I made.....I can only imagine how (or if) this bike ran with that homemade needle clip AND it being placed inside the plastic cup!

Steve Minor

drtrnr

Thanks Steve, I rebuilt my carb and put it back the way it came apart (the wrong way). Now I know which side the clip goes. Thanks again, John A