jackpiner restoration questions

Started by Mike Berrington, September 22, 2003, 08:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Berrington

Finally started the Jackpiner project, and I have several questions, (many more to come I am sure)
1). Are the original spokes chrome/nickel plated, cadmium, or are they painted?
2). Motoplat, (lack of spark), since the bike is now apart should I send the unit to Dane L. for assessment?
3). Does anyone have a source for the metric lock nuts with blue nylon inserts?

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Randy Kirkbride

Mike,
I get my metric lock nuts at a local hardware store called the Do-It center. It is a chain store but I don't know if they have any in your area.  They have blue nylon.  Stainless steel ones have white nylon.

Rocket

Mike
I buy my hardware at a Fastenal store.  It is a supply house for industrial items, check the yellow pages or the internet for a store near you.  It has every metric bolt and nut you may want.  They are very reasonably priced.  The locknuts have the blue nylon.
I think some of the spokes were painted and some were cadium plated.  I have been buying SS spokes from Buchannan out of California.  Average around $60 a set with nipples.
Probably be a good idea to send the motoplat to Dane and have it checked out.
Rocket

Mike Berrington

Thanks Randy & Rocket for the advice.  I do not know of any Do-it centers but we do have Fastenal close,  (close being relative for rural Virginia).  

Rocket what did you do for rims?  I have the originals but unfortunately they are not salvageable without re-plating or replacing.  Did you replace, re-plate, or were you lucky on the originals?

I would like to keep the original rims and bars, I will look into replating but I remember some threads regarding the relatively high cost.

Any insights?

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Doug Wilford

Mike;   Most of the Pentons had CAD CHROME front spokes and painted rears.   Your rims can be rechromed. If they are pitted real bad from rust you need to find out if they (the chrome shop) will clean them up (take the pits out) before plating, otherwise they look real bad if they don't take the pits out before chroming, same with the handlebars.   Glad to hear you are started on the project.  Tell Dad I said HI!

Mike OReilly

If those are the original "Raedelli" steel rims complete with the raised shoulders, whatever you do, do not get rid of them, however bad. They are no longer made (with the raised shoulders at least - regular Raedelli steel rims are available in England)
Decent old Raedelli rims are also very rare, even on Ebay. So don't get rid of the ones that you have unless and until you've identified a more cost effective oringinal style replacement.
Good luck with the rest of the restoration. I have manuals and a fairly original late '72 'Piner. If you have any more questions, let me (or the POG) know.
Mike
Mike

Mike Berrington

Doug;  good to hear from you and I trust you are fully recovered from your surgery.  I will surely relay the message to Dad.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Rocket

Mike
I am having a set of rims done at the chrome shop right now, cost will be from $180-$200.  The chrome shop says they fill all pits with copper before chroming.  They did some zinc plating for me and that looks great.  
What year project are you working on?
Rocket

Mike Berrington

Rocket thanks for info on the plating costs.  I will ask around for the "local" plating who speciallizes in restoration plating.  We surely have someone in Virginia North Carolina area.

My project is a 1973 hi-breather.   It is a shame the bike is in really good shape for an original bike, but not quite good enough for my restoration taste.  Even after the talk about preservation verses restoration at the AMA/POG meeting I still want the bike to look almost new.  

I am in the disassemble stage, and making lists for replacement parts as I go.  Should have it to a bare frame this weekend and will start the sanding and painting process.  It is fun to get re-aquatinted with a Jackpiner after 25 years.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Mike OReilly

If those are the original "Raedelli" steel rims complete with the raised shoulders, whatever you do, do not get rid of them, however bad. They are no longer made (with the raised shoulders at least - regular Raedelli steel rims are available in England)
Decent old Raedelli rims are also very rare, even on Ebay. So don't get rid of the ones that you have unless and until you've identified a more cost effective oringinal style replacement.
Good luck with the rest of the restoration. I have manuals and a fairly original late '72 'Piner. If you have any more questions, let me (or the POG) know.
Mike
Mike

Mike Berrington

Doug;  good to hear from you and I trust you are fully recovered from your surgery.  I will surely relay the message to Dad.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Rocket

Mike
I am having a set of rims done at the chrome shop right now, cost will be from $180-$200.  The chrome shop says they fill all pits with copper before chroming.  They did some zinc plating for me and that looks great.  
What year project are you working on?
Rocket

Mike Berrington

Rocket thanks for info on the plating costs.  I will ask around for the "local" plating who speciallizes in restoration plating.  We surely have someone in Virginia North Carolina area.

My project is a 1973 hi-breather.   It is a shame the bike is in really good shape for an original bike, but not quite good enough for my restoration taste.  Even after the talk about preservation verses restoration at the AMA/POG meeting I still want the bike to look almost new.  

I am in the disassemble stage, and making lists for replacement parts as I go.  Should have it to a bare frame this weekend and will start the sanding and painting process.  It is fun to get re-aquatinted with a Jackpiner after 25 years.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.