ISDT trivia

Started by Paul Danik, September 22, 2003, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

OK guys, lets have some fun.  The rules are there are no rules.  Post a question and someone can try to answer it. New questions can be posted before the old ones are answered, just number your question so we can match the answers up to the questions.

#1  What ISDT rider's father, who worked for Penton Imports, ran gas for the riders along with his wife?

#2  Who was known as Mr. ISDT ?

firstturn

#1 Would that be Doug Wolford's father?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

LynnCamp

Question #3
Can you name a prominent New England woman enduro rider who became an ISDT Team Manager?  (a caveat:  I am really digging into my memory for her "title", but I am pretty sure it was team manager for Ossa).

LynnCamp

Answer to #2
Would that be Jeff Fredette - "Mr. ISDT/ISDE," won ten gold and ten silver medals?

firstturn

Question #2 When you was known as Mr. ISDT could that Mr. Eames?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Q #3, When did the ISDT become the ISDE?

LynnCamp

Kip Kern's Question:  When did the ISDT become the ISDE?

The most I could find was where Tom Niemela (Trask Mountain Pictures and History) says it changed in the early 1980's.  Lots of great pictures with a little of his history at http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/TraskISDE.htm

OK -- I am having way too much fun with this and I don't want to hog the post.  Can anyone answer my (what woman ISDT manager) or Kip Kern's (ISDE) questions and Paul  or someone else confirm the answers to 1 and 2?  The suspense is cutting into my productivity at work.  (alright -- so I have no life)

Gary Brinton

#3 Marcia MacDonald?
#3a  1980 ISDT Brioude, France
     1981 ISDE Elba, Italy

Gary (need a break from getting the Jackpiner ready for the ISDTRR)

Paul Danik

#1 Yes, it was Doug Wilford's mom and dad. Doug's dad, Wally Wilford , worked for Penton Imports.  Any  NOS Hi-point/Penton parts that you have or buy that are in a shrink wrap package were probably packaged by Wally.  He was a really neat guy.
#2 Al Eames was known as Mr. ISDT. Al is deceased but his wife and son should be at the ISDT reunion.

Paul Danik

#4  Where did Mr. Penton store some of the first Penton's that arrived here from the factory?

#5  What famous actor was one of the first USA ISDT riders?

#6 What USA ISDT rider was a motorcycle patrol officer in the Bert Reynold's movie Hooper?

Mike OReilly

Question 5: Steve McQueen?
Question 6: Bud Ekins? A good friend of McQueens. He got McQueen more involved in serious motorcycle racing. If you check the credits for a whole bunch of movies you'll see him listed as a "stunt guy" (most notably, of course, "The Great Escape") You may also see Lane Leavitt and maybe Debbie Evans, observed trials riders who later did a lot of stunt work. If its an old movie, by the way, look for J.N. Roberts!

firstturn

#4  The Barn on the Farm?
#6  Dave Mungenast in Hooper?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

LynnCamp

Q#3 - Gary is right - It is Marcia McDonald.  I found out yesterday that Marcia will be at the ISDTRR.  She will be flying into Dalton on Sunday --- returning back to the U.S. after ascending Mt. Everest up to one of the established base camps at approx 18,000 ft or more.  Apparently her big interest now is mountain climbing.

Q# 5 -- I remember seeing Steve McQueen and his wife, Ali McGraw at the ISDT in Dalton.

Gary Brinton

#4  The chicken coop?

Gary

firstturn

#7 What was Dane Leimbach's number?
#8 What was Doug Wilford's number?
#9 What was the person's name that sold Cycle News and as bonus what state was he from?  There is going to be one person that will probably even tell what town he was from.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh