ISDT trivia

Started by Paul Danik, September 22, 2003, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LynnCamp

Q#3 - Gary is right - It is Marcia McDonald.  I found out yesterday that Marcia will be at the ISDTRR.  She will be flying into Dalton on Sunday --- returning back to the U.S. after ascending Mt. Everest up to one of the established base camps at approx 18,000 ft or more.  Apparently her big interest now is mountain climbing.

Q# 5 -- I remember seeing Steve McQueen and his wife, Ali McGraw at the ISDT in Dalton.

Gary Brinton

#4  The chicken coop?

Gary

firstturn

#7 What was Dane Leimbach's number?
#8 What was Doug Wilford's number?
#9 What was the person's name that sold Cycle News and as bonus what state was he from?  There is going to be one person that will probably even tell what town he was from.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

LynnCamp

How can I register a protest if there are no rules?????  

AMA says in its Hall Of Fame Museum:

Jeff Fredette (2002 inductee) - "Mr. ISDT/ISDE" multi gold medal winner, national Enduro winner and motorcycle performance product developer.

AND

Al Eames (1999 inductee) - Organized 1973 International Six Day Trial in USA

Of course -- I would have to give that POG pervails.  If you say the Al is "Mr. ISTD" then so be it....

Paul Danik

#4  Yep, the bikes were stored in the top of the barn, actually it is the Penton Farm Market, but it is a barn.  They put the crates on a bale elevator and up they went.

#5 Steve McQueen

#6 Dave Mungenast

firstturn

Lynn I thought the same thing, but I think Paul has been hanging around with too many Texans and has developed his own rules which means there are only his rules.  We are having fun.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Doug Wilford

What year did the US team win the Watling Trophy?   Bonus- what is the Watling Trophy and its' award meaning?

firstturn

Watling Trophy was won by the USA in 1972?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

LynnCamp

#10:  Looks like Ron is correct about the U.S. Team winning the Watling Trophy in 1972, but they also won in 2001.  

Doug .... I found that the trophy has been presented since 1963 by ISDE international jury "to the country that puts forth the best effort under adverse conditions, showing the true olympic spirit of the event" but I have no clue as to what or who Watling is.

Here's #11:
In the 1973 ISDT event, how many of the 300 riders entered from around the world were riding Pentons?

firstturn

Doug I believe that Lynn is correct on the year and the effort.  But isn't the trophy normally awarded to a Vase Or Trophy team that shows the greatest improvement?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dwight Rudder

1st ISDE was 1981 Elba Italy.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

OUCWBOY

#9  Not really sure who sold Cycle News, but Chuck and Sharon Clayton purchased a Southern California company called Motorcycle Journal. They later changed the name to Cycle News. They later purchased (for no money) State Motorcycle News from John Penton and called it Cycle News East!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Great job Donny, but where was the first location(town/city) of Cycle News East?  Ed Youngblood could answer this question.  Hint check out his web site.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Ron,
It was in Amherst on Church Street!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

OK OK I know when I'm messing with the Master. How do you expect me to earn expert status if I don't try?  Signed GrassHopper

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh