175 swing arm bushings/bearings

Started by Mike Berrington, October 01, 2003, 08:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Berrington

I have a 1973 175. It is a high breather frame.  The swing arm, which looks like the later version, which should have bearings, actually has bushings.    I assume this bike was produced during the transition period.  Question is: do I use the bushings from the older style swing arm?  Or are there unique bushings for this style of swing arm?  

And last can I, should I convert to bearings?  If I do the conversation I will need the inner bearing rod, the threaded end caps and the bearings. I know where to get the bearings but the inner rod and end caps maybe an issue.  I also would have to drill and tap for the lubrication holes

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Mike Lenz

Someone got measurements from me to make new bushings. I would just go that way. Hopfully he will see this and give us an update.

jj

I have two May '73 produced 175's that also use bushings in the swingarm. Converting to bearings smells like trouble to me. First you would need to bore it out to fit the threaded end caps, then cut the width down which may not work because you may run into the arms before enough material is removed to make it fit. It would just be easier to find a newer swing arm.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

john durrill

Mike,
 Al recieved some of the new run oem style bushings for the 72-75 100/125 swing arms. they fit some of the early 175's, 72 to 74?
 i have one set to install in my bike just to be very sure they are correct in every way. it will be a week or so befor i can do the install due to some shoulder problems i develope at the Reunion Ride, when my shoulder tried to displace a Beirkshire oak from the hillside
 chuckle chuckle.
 they measure the same as the stock bushing so i see no reason they will not work.
 John D.

Mike Berrington

Thanks John.
Hope you heal quickly and I will be interested in how the bushings work out.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.
Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.