Honda of Piqua

Started by imported_n/a, October 10, 2003, 09:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

While stuck at home recovering from surgery, I read through most of my old magazines.

The July '75 issue of Motocross Action has an ad for Honda of Piqua, which I recall sold Pentons and sponsored some fast guys.  They had aftermarket pipes listed for the Penton 175 and 250.  

What ever happened to this dealership?  Does anybody have any clue as to what might have happened to the jig or tooling that they used to make Penton pipes?  

I'm still trying to find out all I can about the pipe-makers.

Glenn

Rocket

Glenn
I remember the dealership.  On my 73 Jackpiner the crank had broken.  I got a new crank, but was short one main bearing.  They were the only dealership that had what I needed.  A thousand miles later I had the bearing and was racing on the weekend.  I still have an old jersey with their logo.
Rocket

imported_n/a

Rod,

There was a Penton ad around late '74 that had a Honda of Piqua Penton rider in the ad.  They must have been a good dealer to appear in a real Penton ad.

Glenn

papur709

I worked at Honda of Piqua during high school (grad 67) through 1974 when home from college and the summers. We sold Honda's, Pentons, Husqvarnas and Maicos (and Yamaha after I was gone). I left in late '74 to move to Georgia and work for Husqvarna. I spent some time hanging with Don Rosene who was the Penton rep at the time.
I can't remember which year the dealership closed - I'm thinking late 70's early 80's and the owner (jerry Fogle) moved to Michigan and I believe is still selling real estate.
I'm pretty sure the guy in the ad is a rider that Jerry brought here from Australia.  He worked a deal with Penton to help sponsor him.
Hope this answers some of your questions.
Those were the good ol' days.
Oh, and I almost forgot, the pipes were made by FMF in California and we sold a bunch of pipes (not just Penton) through the mail order business.

imported_n/a

Welcome to the Penton Owners Group.  It's apparent you lived the Penton lifestyle before moving on to H********.

I appreciate your feedback about the pipes.  Now knowing that FMF made them, we'll have to try to get Donny Emler interested in Pentons again!

Glenn