Old Penton identify / help

Started by MXER10, October 14, 2003, 08:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MXER10

Hello,
Could use help identifying an old Penton roller I picked up.
It has a green steel roundish shaped tank with indented sides and says 125 six day below the Penton emblem.
Silver frame with built in center stand, steering head has V4135 stamped into it.
There was no engine, electric's, carburetor, or pipe.
I have a wrecked 1968 Honda CL125a Honda twin with less than 2500 orig miles that runs beautifully I had planned on stuffing the engine into the Penton to build a fun vintage dual sport out of unless you tell me the Penton is super rare?
The owner of the Penton claimed to have the rest of the bike but it was buried in a huge old shop FULL of automotive, heavy equipment, and chainsaw stuff (he's a logger about 70 yrs old).
I'm sure you know this story, I've been back several times asking over the last year if he'd found anything with no such luck.
Please let me know, and thanks!
Best regards, John

Steve Minor

Let me start off by saying all Pentons are rare. Some more than others, but all are rare. Please don't destroy one of the greatest offroad sportcycles ever built. With some digging, you'll find that parts are available and that the Penton Owners Group are some of the best people on earth. They can direct you as far as restoration or preservation. If you're not up for a "project" then please offer it for sale here on this web site. I feel sure some POGer will "rescue" it.  

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

firstturn

To answer your first question it is a 1970 year model.  I agree with Steve on keeping the bike in tack and offering it for sale.  
  On to the next question about using the Honda engine.  The engine you have is not very desirable for a conversion because it is a twin.  Let me explain.  You will have problems with getting a chain to work and probably resort to mounting the engine higher in the chassis.  Now you have a problem with too high center of gravity.  Lastly this is a expensive modofication to do correctly.
Respectfully

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

MXER10