Final Race of the Season (road racing Sachs)

Started by Dave H., October 14, 2003, 11:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave H.

Folks, if you are not interested in road racing, please pardon my band width. This last Sunday, October 12th 2003, the Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association hosted our final race of the season, which was held in torrential rain, (not uncommon for the North West at this time of year). The 2.25 mile Pacific Raceways asphalt track had running rivlets in places, and standing water in other places, creating a wild wet water world. I race a 125cc 1972 Penton Sachs which I modified to drive on pavement, but it's engine is a  bone stock 5A with magneto and points ignition. This has always been flawless as long as I kept water out of the magneto....
does anybody want to hear more???? (-;
Dave

firstturn

I know I want to hear more, and you might set a group e-mail list to send updates to those interested on the Penton/roadracing updates.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Please Dave, Let it out, Did you kick BUTT?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Dave, Dave, Dave....
We are all sitting here waiting for the finsih. This gonna be a nail biter?

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Dave H.

hehehe...:D
(it is GREAT to know I have such loyal fans...thanks you guys) (Ron, I don't know how yet, but I'll try that idea soon).
   Well, earlier this year there were a few ups and downs...in fact, I tasted the pavement twice this year, as I learned the limits of Avon tyre traction, and maximum lean angle, at speed.  In July and August,  I had accumulated enough points to hold a 3rd place podium spot for the 250 vintage class standings, but then slid back to 5th overall after two DNF's in subsequent races... crashed out of one  while trying to overtake the 2nd place (and consistently faster) Michael Bateman. Then in the next race, I failed to finish when I went the wrong way in selecting a jet size (It was acting lean, by surging and losing power at WFO, but ran worse when I put a fatter jet in.) With only one race to go, (October 12) and two fast guys with more points than I had already between me and the podium, I needed to win, and they had to finish way back in the pack!!!...

deek

Dave, was that in Spokane? Damn I missed it, sorry.

Dale

tmc3c

Dave,Dave,Dave..... CMON, SPILL IT !! DID YOU KICK BUTT???? AND THE OCT. RACE RESULT'S ARE?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Dave when you get ready to do group e-mail let me know and I will walk you through the process.  [email protected]  
  See you do have fans.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dave H.

Dale, no, the last one was here in Seattle, but the one I described that I DNF'd due to too much fuel was in Spokane...(I had planned to contact you but all my planning was hectic and last minute...sorry I missed you).... I have learned to put a thin ring of Yamabond (grey sealant) around the magneto cover and it works fantasticly, to keep water out of the magneto. I also learned to not use a foam sock  air filter on the carb  because tend to soak up a lot of rain and kill the fire (I only have a screen covering the opening to keep the birds out)  So my racer is finally Pacific Northwest weather tight this year...but...ok, ok,...I won't keep you guys in suspense any longer...In the first heat, I was a half second off the starting flag and had to pass two guys to take the lead, and narrowly kept it through the final laps as I missed a shift on the final leg, and saw the wheel of my nemesis just as I found the gear and accelerated out of his reach for the checker. The second heat was another epic battle, but my start was flawless, in fact my Penton did a terrific power wheelie as  the flag dropped, which, I was told, really syched out the guys on either side of me on the  grid...I had a great battle with the points leader, passing, and then being passed several times, before finally out-accelerating him at the exit of a turn which leads to an uphill chicane. My net result for the weekend: Two first place finishes, which will put me back on the podium in third place.:D Heck ya ...<<< I KICKED BUTT!!!>>>
I have a picture I want to post...how can I do that?
Dave H.

tmc3c

GREAT JOB DAVE, When I was flat tracking in the 70's there was a guy who road raced a Penton and was in KEEPING TRACK and I have the issue somewhere around here,we just moved into a new house and I can't find nothing! AGAIN DAVE, WAY TO GO !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Dave! WOW! Way to go. Lookinf forward to seeing that photo!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Dennis Jones

Congratulations Dave,

I too would love to see pictures of your Penton road racer.[:p]

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Dave H.

Just to mess with my competitors heads, I put yellow Honda wings on my Penton tank with the words..."Honda-Ha!"  ...they're all on Honda CB160 and 175 twins. I'm having way more fun than a 54 year old should be allowed!!!
Dave Hussey

john durrill

Dave,
 you can post your pic in the library till we have a way to post it here on POG. I woul very much like to see it. Here is the short cut
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/PentonRestorationandTechGroup/
I still need to send you the other pipe specs. the Reunion Ride prep got me off track. Sorry.
John D.