Motoplat alternative

Started by TGTech, October 20, 2003, 09:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGTech

It has been some months since we got the first copy of an ignition that we hope will be able to serve as an alternative to the Motoplat ignitions on the Pentons. The ISDTRR was the first test under fire for the system, and I'm happy to report, that everything went well.

The 125 that Jeff Penton rode, had the ignition on it, and he said that it hummed along without a hitch. I have made some inquiries of the company, about fitting the system to the KTM engines as well as the Sachs engine, and am now waiting for answers.

At this point, I'd like to ask how many of the Forum members might be interested in purchasing these systems. The price we will be able to offer them to the public for, will depend on how many we purchase, so I'm trying to get a feel for where we should start. I'm projecting a suggested retail of about $350, though that could go lower if the interest is high enough.

The ignition is an external flywheel, CDI type ignition with around 100W of lighting capacity. The magneto and coil bolts right on, but there is a regulator/rectifier for which a suitable mounting must be found. Timing is a little different than the Motoplats, but it still isn't that difficult of a process to deal with.

I'll check back here for responses and well proceed accordingly. Spread the word and let's see what kind of interest we can generate.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.

hrbay

D, will these be 4 universal applications or specifically for the Sachs , KTM's. GC

GC
GC

Kip Kern

Dane,  Talked to Jeff at the ISDTRR and he was telling me a little about the ignition.  I would be interested in one for Sachs and one for KTM 175, 250 application.  Thanks for the R/D for us!

metalkfab

Thanks Dane. Count All Custom in for (2)Sachs motors and (2) KTM motors.

Randy Kirkbride

Dane,
I would be interested in one for my 'd' motor Sachs 125.

bigdanracer

Hi Dane I have a 77, MC5  400 that could use one.
Thanks, Dan.

Posting 07/2002
Yucaipa CA.
Age 50, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s.
Posting 07/2002
Yucaipa CA.
Age 51, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s.

SCOTT CURTIS

Dane, Why not just continue with the PVL units?  Are these Better?

metalkfab

Scott,PVL units do not have a lighting coil.The unit tested does.

Dennis D

I would be interested in one for a KTM 175. Maybe two if I don't get my first Piner to start better! Dennis D

Lew Mayer

I may be interested in one for Jackpiner. I just had one repaired but if these are better for lighting, I'll keep my repaired one for a spare.

Lewis A Mayer
Lew Mayer

scott brogan

:DDane my motoplat that you helped me with worked fine for the ISDTRR. However thinking of the future put me down for the new one. 77Mc5 250.    Scott

firstturn

Dane is the regulator/rectifier basically the same basic design as a Japanese/Honda version?  Put me down for one for 100/125 Sachs.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Dane,
 The Hercules group in Germany did a beta test on the units made for the Sachs 100/125 engine. Its been about 7 months now and they have worked fine. One of the Vinduro group purchased 2 for a Jawa and an SWM both have worked out fine.
 The Instruction book was made from feedback from the Herc group. Looks like its a good solid unit.
 My son would be interested in one for a 175 Jackpiner.
John D.

generalbay

Put me down for one.
thanks D.Duvall

TGTech

I got a little more information in regards to the issue of the big regulator/rectifier. If we don't need the system to charge a battery, a much smaller unit can be supplied that will regulate the voltage, but not rectify it. This will mean that you can still use the lighting system for high output, but it will be AC current instead of DC. And in the useage for the Pentons, that won't make any difference, since that's what we've been using in the Motoplats all along.

The manufacturer is going to do some poking around to try and find a KTM engine to work with, to do the KTM application. At the moment, they don't have a KTM unit, but they didn't sound like it would be a problem.

I am also planning to have these units available for the Husqvarna engines with small (up to the '82 model year) and medium ('82-'87 Swedish engines) shaft engines. Finding those engines may not be so easy, so I've asked them if they think that they can do the application from a Motoplat drawing, which I have.

More news as it becomes available.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.