1976 Mint 400 For Sale

Started by mint400rider, October 31, 2003, 10:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mint400rider

What I have is a 1976 Mint 400 with lights.  Tank and plastics are in good candition, as is seat.  Pretty good condition.  This was my xr650 eater!  Nothing could beat it, I couldn't keep the front wheel down, it would ridea wheelie in every gear.  

But one day I was riding a wheelie in third gear and it started to bog down, front end went down real fast and then nothing.  Every now and then it will be hard to kick.  Piston has a few knicks in it that will be resurfaced.  I am assuming something got sucked in there.  It also needs the clutch adjusted.  I would part with it for $600 right now.  If no one wants it I will carry it down basement and do a frame off restoration in the winter then try to sell it for $1500-$2000 in the spring.  This is located in Frankfort, Indiana.  You can e-mail me at [email protected]

It always used to start up on the first kick too.  Also comes with a tank bag and map pouch.  It was raced enduro by the guy before me and it has quick change wheels, brake saver, all that good stuff.

Thanks  

1976 Penton Mint 400

1979 John Deere Trailfire 440

Honda Odyssey with cbr 600 engine (150 mph)
1976 Penton Mint 400

mint400rider

Well there are 16 people interested.  I did not take the engine out and fix it, I decided to sell it as is.  Like I said it will be hard to turn over every now and then.  It will probably start right up if i would turn the gas on but i do not want to risk it!  This is not a project of any kind and it will not need any parts.  I was just riding it yesterday!  All it needs is the crankcase cleaned out and maybe to grind down some knicks on the piston.  Clutch also needs adjusted, but all the gears are synchronized so it is driveable without clutch.  

As I said, 16 people want it, so i do not know who to sell it to.  The only way i can think of is to sell it to the person that offers the most .  But, I would be much, much more intereted in a trade than money.  

E-mail me with your offer of money or what you have to trade.  I am sorry, i would sell it for $600 like i said originally but too many people want it!  Here are links to pictures.  

http://www.pilot-odyssey.com/pilot-odyssey/home.nsf/0/247d36c8aa55a54005256dd100741033/$FILE/penton%20011.jpg

http://www.pilot-odyssey.com/pilot-odyssey/home.nsf/0/ebd6879dea70349c05256dd10074238e/$FILE/penton%20007.jpg

http://www.pilot-odyssey.com/pilot-odyssey/home.nsf/0/7688f44cd9850dc905256dd10074369b/$FILE/penton%20004.jpg

http://www.pilot-odyssey.com/pilot-odyssey/home.nsf/0/6be62584981521ab05256dd100745507/$FILE/penton%20002.jpg

The only rust is on the exhaust and there is one crakcin rear fender and one in left side cover.

Thanks, [email protected]

1976 Penton Mint 400

1976 Penton Mint 400

sachsmx

A man of his word![:o)] (tongue firmly planted in cheek) Maybe you should just put it on Ebay. Glad I am not one of those who wants it

mint400rider

Well what do you want me to do?  Tell them whatever person gets here first gets it?  I don't think i'll have everyone waste their time in doing that.

I'm glad you're not one of those who want it too.

1976 Penton Mint 400

1976 Penton Mint 400

Dave Withrow

You have no idea of the can of worms you're opening here, my friend.  My advice to you is to honor the deal that YOU originally made.  If someone comes to your place to get the bike, so much the better.  Otherwise, arrangements can always be made.
Just remember, the web is a huge place, and reputations are made(both good and bad) everyday.

firstturn

I agree with you Dave.
I have a novel Idea why don't you sell it to the first person that contacted you.  If that person doesn't want it go to number 2.  I know this sounds like I spent a lot of time coming up with this solution, but in reality I think it's the only right thing to do.  I think one must consider that the people that read this Forum tend to have very good memories.

Regards,

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

I can't help myself. Here's my shillings worth.
(1) "I would part with it for $600 right now"-- sounds like first come,first served.
(2) "Piston has a few nicks in it...assuming something got sucked in there." - have you looked in the intake/exhaust to see these? Did the piston loose a skirt?
(3)"driveable without a clutch" ??? - OK, I like to stop every once in a while.
(4)"not a project and will not need any parts" - I just can't figure out not ever needing any parts, especially since the "gears are synchronized".
Maybe I'm looking at the pictures wrong.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

mint400rider

Listen guys, i'm not out here to make a fortune or rob all of you.  Just trying to get the most out of my investment.  I drove it like that with no problem at all.  Clutch can be pulled in enough to almost come to a complete stop.  No one is forcing you to read this. No one is forcing you to buy it.  This is a free country and you don't have to buy it, read it, or even care; but with that i guess you are all free to piss and moan about a bike that you weren't even interested in and that the guy found out is worth more and is trying to get his money back.

I have been getting e-mails from the people actually interested saying that it was a good decision and that the bike os worth more than what i originally said.  I could've just asked the worth of it first then posted it for sale and none of would've given it a second thought.

1976 Penton Mint 400

1976 Penton Mint 400

Dennis Jones

Mint400rider,

Since you said you would still sell the bike for the price you ask, and you are obviously able to send pictures I would think the first person to say I will take it buys the bike[xx(]

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

mint400rider

I would also like to add that out of everyone replying to this post complaining about what i thought the best way to do something is, none of them were interested in it.  I guess you're just talking to be talking.  It would be different if someone that was originally interested was mad.

1976 Penton Mint 400

1976 Penton Mint 400

Rocket

Mint400
I have sent you several personal e-mails, just haven't posted on the site.  The people that I have dealt with on this site are probably the most honest bunch of guys you ever want to meet.  When they say they want "X" amount for something they stick to it, good or bad, they have integrity.  I don't know where I am on your "list", but I sent you an email that if want to sell for the original price I would have been at your house today.
Rod Gorzny (Rocket)

Mick Milakovic

I live in Delphi, merely 20 minutes up the road from you.  I e-mailed your address, but wanted to know the status of your offer?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

jerry

being a relative new memeber to this site it seems like the people that would be interested in buying your bike off ebay are THESE guys! and I think you have already shot yourself in the foot with them. They probably think you would renig on any deal that was made on ebay as well. Maybe you should have asked these guys what a bike like yours is worth BEFORE you posted a price.
If I were you, I would change my screen name and try selling it aging next spring.

Jerry
Jerry

herman

Well guys i have to say i was not happy when it was first listed as i said i would buy it for the 600.00 then it came back with bidding.I have to say that he did get back to me and said he would sell it me as he stated.So iam picking it up on Tuesday to take in to Michigan. I felt that i should post this to let everyone know what has happened. Thanks Herm
Herm

rob w

:DYYEEEEEEHHAAAAA!!! I've finally got a riding buddy.:D
Welcome to the P.O.G. Herm, we're gonna have some fun, these Pentons were made for riding in the Michigan woods. Talk to you soon, Bob