Pipe Packing

Started by tmc3c, November 03, 2003, 08:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Is there any special pipe packing or do I just get a bag of the stuff at my local cycle shop?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Thomas,
  For what application?  I believe Al B. has the packing in stock.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mick Milakovic

I'll probably get some flack here, but that's OK.  I've been re-packing my silencers for years with regular house insulation without the paper backing.  I can't get it as tight as commercial packing, so it goops up faster and is a LITTLE louder, but I just repack sooner.  It's an easy job and I've always got some around the house.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

tmc3c

I need exhaust packing for my 250gs pipe.I have seen that Al sells packing but what is the difference from the bag of packing at your local cycle shop?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Bill Campbell

Try using stainless steel scouring pads. Might be alittle heavier but you can take them out and wash them in kero and reuse them.

crash carden

Hello Thomas, I have installed Al's pipe packing in  both my 175 and 250 Penton pipes. The packing comes in a fiber mesh pouch that is about 10 inches long and 4 inches or so wide. It is mounted on a cardboard tube.You just slide the packing over the stinger rod in the pipe, and the stinger rod replaces the cardboard tube.It makes for a nice tight fit,then when the pipe gets hot it burns the mesh pouch up and the fiber glass packing expands and fills the pipe. It works very well,tight pack,good back presure,great power,quite sound. Cost is $14.00, The type I used was for the stove pipe style enduro pipes.Hope this helps,Crash Carden Team Penton!