Chroming

Started by Kip Kern, November 20, 2003, 09:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

Question:  Can anyone out there recommend a good reliable source for chroming/polishing?  I had a source but the prices have increased, poor service and loss of vital parts have turned me away.  I would like to find reasonable pricing, quick turn around, and all parts returned.  I realize that since the EPA has gotten involved prices have to increase and my hat is off to folks in the plating business as it is a very hard and dirty job.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.[^]

firstturn

Kip,
I'm experiencing the same thing in the SouthWest.  I can get lower prices and nice work, but they have no concept of value of pieces that I only have one examle.  I just obtained a bid to polish two aluminum fork legs for $60.00.  So well see.  I would appreciate to know how these prices compare to other parts of the country.
Thanks,

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

SoCal996

I live in Southern California, got a bid to have my triple clamps polished for $60. I ended up doing the work myself.

gb

Try this company,
Hidden Valley chrome
New Philadelphia, OH
330-339-3688

They did some shock shafts for me a couple of years ago. At the time they had good turn around and the work was good and the pricing was very reasonable.

BrianTaylor

Has anyone looked into or bought the "do it yourself kits " from Eastwood or Caswell (sp ). I have thinking about doing small pcs myself this way. Any ideas or experiences ?......Brian T.

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

JERRY CASCIERO

KIP
   Read you plight concerning chroming; I take all my dirt bike chrome to my local Harley shop which is Chesapeake HD in MD.The turnaround is usually a few weeks.The only snags are the quality is far superior to any of the chrome on these old bikes.Try your local HD shop/they shuold be willing to help.
                              Jerry

Kip Kern

I don't think I would want to try the do-it-yourself method, it wouldn't be worth the fuss but thanks for the info.  I like to have rims rechromed, handlebars, large stuff.  As far as polishing goes, mostly Akronts and hubs as I do the small stuff myself.  I'll try the number for Hidden Valley Chrome.  Thanks![^]

Dennis D

Kip, Were you using Brown's in Ky? Dennis D

PJM

Kip,

At Mid-Ohio this year, Rod (Rocket) told me he uses someone that is good and inexpensive.  I want to send out the handelbars from the Hiro.

Rocket, Can you let us know who you use?

Pat

pjm
Pat Mickevicius

Rocket

Quality Plating
406 Oak Avenue
Sterling, IL 61081

I have used this guy for zinc plating on axles, etc. and I have had him chrome wheels, exhaust heat shields, brake stays, etc.  He is not the fastest person in the world, but I like the work he is doing and he lives abount 12 miles from me.  The zinc plating is reasonably priced, but the chrome work is expensive.  Probably not any higher than any where else, just his EPA expenses are very high.  He told me that a barrel of material used for chroming use to cost him $200 to get rid of, now costs him $700.  Good thing Penton's fon't have much chrome!!
I do all of my own polishing of aluminum.  Usually that goes pretty well.  I use a bench grinder with buffing wheel and compound.  It's dirty work, but somebody has to do it.
Rod

Kip Kern

GB, I tried Hidden Valley and no answer, just a blank message machine.  Jerry, I tried the Harley dealer route and like you, the chrome was too high quality (Brown's Plating, KY).  Will call Rod's recommendation and see what they can do.  Thanks Guy's,  this site is better than family!:D

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Kip,
You might try Jon Wright at Customchrome Plating in Grafton, OH. Ph #440-926-3116.  He's done some work for me and it's always been great, not cheap, though. Very professional.

swamp fox

I had seen a program on Speedvision/Classic Car that dealt with re-plating. The company was Paul's Chrome Plating. On my search of their website a while back, I think it listed them from Mars, Pa. but my recent search shows Evans City, Pa. Maybe the "Man from Mars" would know something. The owners name is Fred Hespenheide. Their website is //www.paulschrome.com//

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

jhardin

Kip, you may want to try precision plating in Quincy Ill. 217-223-6590. They do very good work.

john hardin
john hardin

Paul Danik

Paul's Chrome Plating used to be in Mars till a fire wiped out their plant. They moved about 7 miles up the road to Evans City after the fire.  Fred Hespenheide bought the business from the original owners a number of years back.  Many folks that I have run into all around the country know of Mars because of doing business with Paul's Chrome Plating. Most folks seem quite pleased, but I have never had need of their services.

Paul Danik