1971 Enduro Kit Questions

Started by rob w, December 01, 2003, 05:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

For the 1971 Sixday (steel tank), Penton offered in their enduro kit a waterproofing package which basically consisted of a naugahyde shroud which covered the air box and carburetor.
I'd like to make one for myself and I'm wondering if anyone has one, I'm offering to pay you something to trace out the pattern on a piece of paper, and also show where the snaps are located.

Also

I'd like to know if the leather tool bag rack is the same on the steel tank 1971 model as it is on the 1972 and later CMF models?

Also (this might be a tough one)

In the enduro kit on the 71's, they offered narrower handlebars, I'm wondering what the width was on both sets of bars so I can determine which ones I have. Mine are 31 1/2".

Thanks a ton, happy December.
Bob

Doug Wilford

Bobby;
The narrower bars were optional at 28".   The tool bags were the same.    The naugahide splash guard was for carburetor protection also, the enduro trim was the plastic air cover with the tube to the frame, but it could also be used for sloppy Moto crosses with the steel filter cover.    Interesting that these shrouds seem to be non existant these days.   Many were sold and used.  They did save using alot of Duct tape and they were fairly simple to install.   We also had some for Carbs only and many of a different design were sold to Husky riders.

rob w

Thank you Doug, I was wondering about the rear mounted bag rack because mine appears to be bent in to fit on a 71, I just now measured and compared the widths of the rear frame loops on a 71 and 72 and found that there's a 1" difference in the two, so the racks must have been different.
Thanks again,
Bob

Mark Annan

Rob,

I have a later model rack (and bag) on my Steel Tanker it fits ok.  I think it sits a little taller than it should though.  I have seen one made for a Steel Tanker that fit a little different.  I don't know if it was a "factory" accessory or someone's home made one.  It didn't look homemade.  It used the  number plate mounting holes ( it went between the frame and the plate) instead of the hoseclamp and bolt arrangement. It also fit lower/closer to the fender.  If you ever get a pattern for the carb shroud I like to get a copy of it, or a shroud.

Mark