Penton popularity

Started by dirtbike, December 02, 2003, 05:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtbike

As most of you know, I'm from sweden. Everybody also know that I'm a KTM/Penton fantic. That beeing said!
It appears as if the Penton bikes where really popular in the US back in the 70's. Over here there aren't many and never where. We drowned in Huskies and the monark isdt, which is pretty similar to the penton. The thing is, here hardly nobody rode the KTM since the general word was that the husky was much better. I know that the KTM/penton is considered reliable and has taken many championships in enduro over there. Here, something like that was completely out of the question. No serious racer even lined up with the monark here.

Please don't get me wrong in this, I'm not suggesting anything of this kind but wheren't huskies common over there too. How did they do?
Was this husky superior thing just something they told us here?

Paul Danik

dirtbike,
   John Penton was the east coast distributor of the Husky brand in the United States in the late 60s and early 70s.  He also rode and won many events on Huskies.  Mr. Penton thought so much of the Husky machines that he approached the firm about building a smallbore machine for the US market as he felt there was a real need for one.  The factory responded that they felt Americans wanted "bigger" machines, not "smaller". Mr. Penton has often said that if Husky would have built a small displacement machine when he suggested it the Penton would have never been built, I think that says a lot about the quality of the Husky! If Husky would have built the smallbore, Jack Penton may have gotten a Husky from Santa instead of the Penton!!

Paul Danik

Big Mac

Vilkommen Sveedish comrade,
Rest assured there are now probably 2-3 times as many old vintage Husqvarna freaks here in the US than the next most popular brand. Great bikes and great reliable performance, among best performers in MX and offroad, easily #1 in the deserts of the west from '69-'73 I'd guess. They were faulted for lousy turning in MX and for whatever reason, the '72-'73 250s never got the accolades of the coveted '74 Mag husky. The open bikes did well, on par with CZ's and Maicos in the pre-'74 period.

A little movie called "On Any Sunday" came out here in summer of '71 or so, seen by huge numbers of wannabe dirtbike youths like myself--it was almost a 2 hr Husqvarna ad! Probably did more for the marque's longevity and cult following than anything else. If you've never seen this film, go out today and buy the DVD so you can bask in nationalistic glory!

For serious enthusiasts and racers wanting all-around performance, flexibility of use and a bit more prestige (with fatter wallets for the higher price tag), especially for eastern or midwest US woods events, I'd suggest the Penton-KTM starting edging out Husqvarna by a decent margin beginning in '73 when the head-to-head 250s and 400s came out.

For today's US vintage dirtbike fans, I'd relate restoring and racing a Husky to having a bellybutton--everyone's got one. Owning a fine Penton steed, on the other hand, suggests true vintage bike knowledge and prestige, and makes you an instant chick-magnet (our phrase for, say, Hugh Hefner). This, of course, is my humble perspective, as a guy who has a '73 Penton, '72 Husqvarna and a '74 CZ, etc.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

DKWRACER

Where's the Chicks???? I have 14 Pentons and still no Chicks, I like the quote 'rode hard and put away wet', guess I'll just stay with the bikes, besides they don't talk back to me unless I don't take care of them.....Hummmm, a little humor eh!!!!
Thomas Brosius

desmond197

I have a 74 Husky 250 WR that I recently restored.  After the restoration I just did not like riding the bike at all. No handling and poorly balenced compaired to my Penton 125 and Bultaco Pursang 250. To make a long story short my Monark 125 blew the tranny a couple of weeks before the 30 year ISDT reunion ride, so the trusty Husky was going to the ride. The Penton is in MX trim and no lights and licence plate which were required for the ride. Well the weather was bad and the ride was tough in the mud and rocks. I was way over my head as far as my riding abilities go. When in doubt gas it and the faster I went though the rough stuff the better the bike did. The handling in the rocks and woods was amazing. The gear ratios were perfect for the 6 days type of riding and the suspention and brakes were great. I am now a Husky fan when before the ride I did not like the bike at all. Now I ride it all the time.

rob w

How about one of the most consistant winning racers in the history of enduros and offroad riding in america, eight consecutive titles from 1974 thru 1981, he made his competitors think they did'nt have a chance. The "King", Hooskavarna riding, Dick Burleson.

Mick Milakovic

My two cents worth:
I've owned one or more Huskys since 1975.  I love their simplicity, reliability, and performance.  I've also been around Pentons since 1973, since my brother Tom first bought one.  I've always thought his Pentons (175 Jackpiner and 250 Harescrambler) were just as able and competitive.  Having said that, I think I will always ride and race both bikes. The difference is I will sell my Huskys to upgrade my position my on the track, or to make a buck, but I will never sell the Harescrambler which I now own.  

To me, a Penton in the off-road world is like a Harley to the streets:  Both carry a lot of pride in ownership since they are of American heritage.  Both perform their intended purpose extremely well, and both hold their re-sale value well, if not seam to appreciate in value.

Finally, a word about two clubs:  The Husky Club does not hold a candle to the Penton Owners Group.  I know because I am a member of both.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
Mick

dirtbike

Sorry!
What does "hold a candle against" mean? I know every single word but I'm smart enough to figure out that it's a phrase meaning something else!

LynnCamp

Dirt Bike:  English is a crazy language.  God bless you folks with the talent to be able to understand English when it is not your native language.  I lived on 4 different continents and was never able to learn another language.  

The statement "The Husky Club does not hold a candle to the Penton Owners Group" uses an expression indicating that the Husky Club is no where near as good as the Penton Owners Group.  According to the dictionary, "Does not hold a candle to" refers to a person or thing that is distinctly inferior to someone or something else.

This means that the POGers are the "Cat's Meow" and "Top Dogs" without having to "put on the dog" and they "play second fiddle to none".  With "tongue in cheek", I would say there isn't "a snowball's chance in hell" and only "once in a blue moon" does a group like this come along.

Us newbies to Pentonia are on "pins and needles" wondering what "nuggets of knowledge" every new post will bring.  There is no "beating around the bush", we would "pay through the nose" for advice like this at our local repair shop.  POGer experts are with us through "thick and thin" and would never "carry coals to Newberry".  There would be "no joy in Mudville" if anything happened to them -- the rest of us would just have to "throw in the towel".  I am "hooked -- line and sinker".

Rocket

All I can say is [:0] WOW!![:0]
Rocket

tlanders

Lynn, that was fantastic - thanks!!! As to the main topic, my Mint 400 died at the last AHRMA national in Alabama last month. Rik Smits let me ride his 400 Husky for the last race and I came in 2nd out of 9 even with a slow start due to the fact I had never ridden anything other than a Penton in a motocross before (not counting my 200 Bultaco Sherpa S back in 1968). Then for the Turkey Cross in Thayer, MO the next weekend, I borrowed a 400 CZ. Neither one of these bikes can "hold a candle" to my mint 400 as far as handling is concerned. I am wearing Ohlins shocks and have the heavier springs in the front, but I just love my Penton better and do not plan to ride/race any other brand.

In addition to it's superior handling characteristics, I feel my loyalty is due to the fact that it was created by John Penton, an American with yankee ingenuity, and was created as the result of living in a free country that I am very proud of.

My two cents worth,

Teddy

swamp fox

You go Teddy!  
"Let the big dog hunt", 'cause "if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch"!

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

dirtbike

Lynn, sorry but I still don't get it.
Do you mean someone that regards someone or something else inferior, or someone/something that IS (or consider itself) inferior in comparison to someone/something else!

Most expressions of that kind is never a problem though. I speak swedish and practically everything of that kind is used here too. Mostly word for word identical. I'd say that the tone, humor and way of saying things is very similar. I speak spanish too, but there we have a different story. The language is so different in it's essence so things will have to be described in a pretty different way!

I believe that your unability to learn other languages is something very typical for native english speaking persons. It's not your fault or less talent. It's just the fact that we, who speak "small" languages are very aware of the fact that our language is no good outside the boarder, from a very young age. Therefore, everybody is supposed to learn english in school and mostly another language too even though it's optional. German, French or Spanish is the most common choices.

Sorry for the OFF-TOPIC mumbo jumbo

rd400pi

Ahhhhhhh.  "Mumbo-Jumbo".  See, you can do it too.  That is exactly what Lynn was trying to say.  [:p]

Mike Husted
72&74 SixDays
76 MC5 250

LynnCamp

Dirt Bike - thanks for the vote of confidence, but I really have zip talent for languages... as a matter of fact, it looks like I didn't do a very good job of answering your question.... so see my edit above which, hopefully, will clear things up for you.