73 125cc

Started by jerry, December 03, 2003, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry

I have disassemble my bike and need to have the frame, etc. sandblasted/powdercoated or painted. How do the swing arm bushings come out and more importantly how do new ones go back in? And where can I buy new bushings? While I'm posting: can one achieve the exact correct original color with powdercoating or do I need to have it painted? What is a match with PPG paint or equivilant? Thanks in advance. Jerry

Jerry
Jerry

swamp fox

Jerry,
I just did that last month. Al or Larry should have some. I took a 3/4 socket on one side of the swingarm and a 1 1/16 on the other and clamped them into the vise, with one side of the swingarm between them. The 3/4 will slip inside the swingarm and push out the bushing into the 1 1/16 socket. Make sure you have them lined up good so as not to flare out the inside of the swingarm when you push the bushing through. I used a small propane torch to lightly heat up the swingarm as I tightened the vise and it pushed the old bushing right on out. Basically installation is in reverse, though you don't need the small socket to push the bushing. Just let it rest on one side of the vise and squeeze it back in. You may need to heat up a little bit again. Once you do that, then you can paint. As for the paint, PJ-1 KTM Silver Gray was recommended to me but the local dealer didn't have any. I was maybe going to look at the auto paint store and get a pint and try to spray it myself.

Jerry, the sockets I used may be different than yours. Just check to make sure the small one will pass through the swingarm tube!

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Paul Danik

I have had several bushings that would not budge. We cut away the rubber from between the inner and outer metal bushing, a drill bit works well, then we removed the inner bushing. A hacksaw will now fit into the outer bushing, make 2 cuts 180 degrees apart, careful to not cut into the swingarm,  the two halfs will almost fall out.
Paul

rdrnr

Jerry,  here are the numbers that I got matching the pj1 paint.  The local paint shop found this with there scanner.

VOC: 4.3/ % Lead000/ MSDS:MAE1
Tinting Guide:MA3

M134   13.6
M117   19.7
M120   87.9
M125  113.0
M126  218.5
M102   20.0
M103  550.0

Acrylic Enamel    Bright Silver Metalic

Use with the Acrylic Enamel primer

That should get what you are looking for, if you need more let me know.  James