Glue on Tank

Started by BrianTaylor, December 26, 2003, 09:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTaylor

I have just pulled my fiberglass tank stickers off and after being there for almost 30 years I can still see the imprint of Penton and the stripes.. I thought maybe hot water would take it off, no luck,.. wd 40 wont take it off and heat from a hair dryer wont remove it .... I am afraid of using any chemical on it so I wont wreck the gelcoat finish on the tank.... anyone have similar experiences and maybe some safe ideas ????[?] Brian T, oh ya  MERRY CHRSTMAS from the great white North

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Brian,
I cleaned the glue off my 250 tank with acetone.  It won't hurt the gelcoat. Just make sure it hasn't been repainted, because it will take off paint.  You should try it underneath just to be sure.

James

You may want to use a polish to remove it-if you are sure there is only gelcoat. James

I have bike parts in the kitchen cabinets where most people have dishes..
7\\" and 4\\" travel? Hmm-that makes 11\\" Hey! I can live with that.

Bob

I would try either lighter fluid or varsol. Neither should hurt the gelcoat.

You can get lighter fluid at the drugstore and varsol at a fuel oil company.

Bob in Va

t20sl

You might try 3M General Pourpose Adhesive Remover.  Part#  051135-08984.  We use it to remove Honda stickers on sport bikes.  Automotive industry uses it in body shops to remove graphics.  Soak it on a cloth and drape cloth over area, wait a few minutes and it softens adhesive.  Does not harm paint so should be good on gelcoat.
Contains naphta, xylene, ehtlbenzene.

BrianTaylor

Everyone thks for info I went with Randys Acetone idea. i was very nervous because i checked the web and the first site i went to said Do not use acetone on fiberglass... yikes .... i went further and read that almost all the marine guys use acetone to clean up fiberglass.....so i took a chance  and it worked perfectly .... though i was still doubting and did not leave it on to long .... my finger nail got a good work out and now all the glue is gone .... now for the next project ...... thks Randy for the good info ... if it hadnt worked i would have hunted you down ......just kidding Brian T.

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor