Information on Tyran

Started by robbersroost1, December 26, 2003, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbersroost1

Does anyone know much about a Tyran 125. Is it some sort of a Wassell? If yes then I'm on one of those crazy missions again. No hope for me I guess? Oh well

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

jj

John J Slivka

Dennis Jones

Terry, yes they were made by the Wassell factory. In the USA they were distributed by Mitsubishi, in Europe the were sold as the Wassell Gazelle. There is a 3 page feature article on them in VMX #19, this is the issue with the history of KTM in it. I have a fairly complete one that is next on my list to bring back to life.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

robbersroost1

John & Dennis: Thanks for your reply. Now starts the hunt, does anyone know of any for sale. Just got to have one of these. Can you find the Gazelle's in the US or just Europe?

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

ksithumper

I have a copy of a Tyran ad somewhere. If either of you need me to dig it out and scan it, email me off list: [email protected].

robbersroost1

Dennis : Where do I find the VMX #19 article?

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

swamp fox

Terry,
You can probably still order a copy from vmx. Their website is:
//www.vmxmag.com.au///

PS - If I remember correctly, they shut down their USA distributor and everything comes from Australia.
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

robbersroost1

Where does the Dalesman fit into all this? Are they a Wassell also?

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

Dennis Jones

The dalesman is not a wassell but a close cousin. Peter Edmondson a designer for Dalesman left them and went to work for Ted Wassell. Good luck in your search they are very rare.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

ksithumper

Terry
I have the 3 page VMX article, also a 2 page Cycle World ad from '73. I'll send both, but be patient as my scanner is at work and I don't return until 5th Jan.

Now the curious bit- the ad is not for the 125, but for the 250 and 400. Did anyone ever see one of those?!

It's hard to see from the ad, but I'll make a fool of myself by guessing the motor is perhaps a Sprite?

Gentlemen, debate...

desmond197

I have three Tyran 125's. They are very nice bikes but hard to find as many have been broken up for parts. They have a stingray bike styling to them which is very cool along with the alloy tank and fenders. The wheels are real nice and one of the bikes I got the wheels went to build a Triumph racer. So I am looking for a Wassel front and rear wheels which are the same as the Penton trials bike. The were a pair of 250/405 Tyran MX bikes at mid Ohio. These were built by Sprite in the UK and had the Sprite motors which were based on the Husky 4 speed motors. Nice bikes with Alloy tanks and alloy side panels. They looked like Cheney's with Husky motors in them. The pair went for $700. I spent my money on a Penton Woodsman or I would have boutght them. You see them on Ebay every once and a while u.

desmond197

The Dalesman 125's used Puch motors for the MX and trails models and Sachs motors for the enduro bikes. These bikes were in part designed by Joel Robert who sold the bikes in Belgum. The dalesman bikes were made from 1969 to 1973. Some bikes had a all in one tank seat like a Bultaco Alpina others had a Lyta alloy tank like the Penton Trials and Tyran bikes. The Dalesmans are very rare mostly found in the Northest and in Texas. I am currently restoring a 125 Lynx MX bike with the Puch motor. Jim Lee worked on the frame sesign of both bikes.

robbersroost1

Does anyone have a picture of the Dalesman? What do these bikes go for if you find one?

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

Kip Kern

There was a real nice one restored at the ISDTRR museum.  There may be a picture on this site from that event.

Paul Danik

Any of you guys who are interested in the Tyran, Wassell, Dalesman, Saracen, Sprite, Rickman, ect. need to try to find a copy of "Classic British Two-Stroke Trials Bikes" by Don Morley. This book is full of great pictures and historical information on many interesting machines. Ebay might be the place to look.

I was able to pick up the last of the Mitsubishi International parts for the Tyran sales in the USA a couple of years back. Those guys were running stuffed "D" engines, special Sachs "Superlite" pistons, internal motoplat ignitions and one of three different E.C. Bert pipes. The Sachs Superlite pistons have a cast hole above the wristpin hole that is larger than the one for the wristpin. E.C. Bert was incharge of the race and R&D department and they were building some real gernades.  Some of the engines/cylinders have a bad case of meltdown, others seem to have worked well, some are NOS and are waiting for use. The pipes each have a specific use according to the paperwork that came with the parts. There was quite a bit of paperwork, service bulletins, an Owners manual, sales literature ect with the package. Tyran didn't last all that long but they tried!!!
Paul