Information on Tyran

Started by robbersroost1, December 26, 2003, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Annan

Hey Paul,

Sounds like you have some special parts and info there.  Any chance you could share some of the engine info??  I'm always interested in was to "improve" the performance of the Sachs motors.  

Mark A

Paul Danik

Mark,
   There is a page of diagrams of the porting changes and a page of text giving specs for milling the head, ect, that I will be glad to copy and send your way. Just send me your address. [email protected]
   I don't know if this info will make for any improvements but it is interesting!
Paul

fastfred

Quotequote:Originally posted by robbersroost1

Where does the Dalesman fit into all this? Are they a Wassell also?

Terry Laible

I am pretty sure that the Dalesman frames were made at Jim Lee's factory in Batley Yorkshire. I used to live in UK until 2 and a half years ago and ride trials a bit.

fastfred

Quotequote:Originally posted by desmond197

The Dalesman 125's used Puch motors for the MX and trails models and Sachs motors for the enduro bikes. These bikes were in part designed by Joel Robert who sold the bikes in Belgum. The dalesman bikes were made from 1969 to 1973. Some bikes had a all in one tank seat like a Bultaco Alpina others had a Lyta alloy tank like the Penton Trials and Tyran bikes. The Dalesmans are very rare mostly found in the Northest and in Texas. I am currently restoring a 125 Lynx MX bike with the Puch motor. Jim Lee worked on the frame sesign of both bikes.
Yes,correct, in fact I can still see a row of Dalesman frames in Jim Lee's workshop being welded and put together in Batley, Yorkshire in 1970. I rode one of Jim's special racers with Commando engine in. I live in Upsate Ny now but lived in the Uk until 2001. Still ride trials a bit.  Fred B

imported_n/a

Hi I'm Larry.I raced Dalesmans in 1970-1972.I am interested in talking Dalesmans with anyone interested.I have collected some literature and tests and am willing to share.

cardojr

for some really good tyran pics (as well as other bikes) go to
//www.clarionconst.com-see events/other pages/motorcycles---if my kids were here i'd make them link this site-i'm not that savvy
rob

cardojr

jj

There is a '72 Dalesman just posted for sale on the CALVMX site for $1,800.

http://www.calvmx.com/guestbook/guestbook.html

I can remember this bike up for auction on ebay a few months back by the same seller. What caught my eye was the Durham, NC location (just an hour south from my place in Danville, VA), and the entire team of Hercules ISDT bikes that he also had on auction.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

robbersroost1

I just found out there was a Dalesman Trials. Anyone got a picture? Are there any old time Scottish 6 Day results posted anywhere? Would be great to see a Penton Wassell or Dalesman in there.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

Dennis Jones

The Dalesman trials was very similar to the Wassell trials. In 10 years of riding vintage trials I only know of one. I can copy a picture of the Dalesman line up from a 1972 buyers guide. Email your address if interested.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

RD

I found the Dalesman Trials bike to be interesting enough just on looks alone, that I bought one from what turned out to be one of the few distributor reps in Texas for Dalesman back in the early 70's. After months of trying to buy it from the guy, we finally reached an amount that convinced him it was advantageous for him to sell it than having it collect dust in his shop.  Anyway,  I've had this one for about 7rs or so.  It was the reps demo bike, with less than 30 miles on it (so says the vintage odometer on the right fork leg, with tyre tread condition testifying about the same).  This one is the early model tyrials, looking to be all original with the Puch 125cc, girlings, and the neat Dunlop English tyres front 2.75 x 21 and rear 4.00 x 18, and alloy fender, with the front being original high mount.  Bike came with all of the rep's Dalesman price lists, parts lists, some service bulletins, model brochures, dealer set up requirements,etc.  Evidently the Dalesman was made by Dalesman Competition Ltd., with their head office and factory being Phoenix Works, Station Road, Otley, Yorkshire, LS21 3HX, England (Telephone 0943 4 2712), and was imported or distributed in the USA by Jeckel Industries, Incorporated.   The bike came with some of the original letters to Dalesman dealers issued by Ronald N. Jeckel, President of Jeckel Industries. It is interesting in one of Mr. Jeckel's 1974 letters he tells the Dalesman dealers that..."The energy crisis had a tremendous impact on the British economy....."This crippling effect is particularly difficult for a small firm like Dalesman...". From the information I have Dalesman also sold an Enduro bike called the Scout, and an MX bike sometimes referred to as the Although I am not a Dalesman expert, I am more than interested in them (as I am with Pentons) and would appreciate learning more about the Dalesman from those willing to share. If anyone would like to correspond about Dalesman bikes, I would be more than happy to participate.

RD

robbersroost1

RD:
   Your story is just to cool. Please email me a picture of your bike, or better yet just sell it to me. [email protected] I just received an old motorcyclist buyers guide from Dennis Jones on the Dalesman, I could mail or email you a copy. Let me know.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible

celcius232

I have three Tyran 125's. They are very nice bikes but hard to find as many have been broken up for parts. They have a stingray bike styling to them which is very cool along with the alloy tank and fenders. The wheels are real nice and one of the bikes I got the wheels went to build a Triumph racer. So I am looking for a Wassel front and rear wheels which are the same as the Penton trials bike. The were a pair of 250/405 Tyran MX bikes at mid Ohio. These were built by Sprite in the UK and had the Sprite motors which were based on the Husky 4 speed motors. Nice bikes with Alloy tanks and alloy side panels. They looked like Cheney's with Husky motors in them. The pair went for $700. I spent my money on a Penton Woodsman or I would have boutght them. You see them on Ebay every once and a while u.

Brian S. Goodman
Brian S. Goodman

celcius232

I thought the Sprite 405s were also sold here as American Eagle Talons.  I have never found out who made the Husky clone 405 engine.  Does anyone know the source of the 405 motors?  Also the American Eagle 250s that I have seen had Sprite frames and Kawasaki rotary valve singles in them.  Brian G.
Quotequote:Originally posted by celcius232

I have three Tyran 125's. They are very nice bikes but hard to find as many have been broken up for parts. They have a stingray bike styling to them which is very cool along with the alloy tank and fenders. The wheels are real nice and one of the bikes I got the wheels went to build a Triumph racer. So I am looking for a Wassel front and rear wheels which are the same as the Penton trials bike. The were a pair of 250/405 Tyran MX bikes at mid Ohio. These were built by Sprite in the UK and had the Sprite motors which were based on the Husky 4 speed motors. Nice bikes with Alloy tanks and alloy side panels. They looked like Cheney's with Husky motors in them. The pair went for $700. I spent my money on a Penton Woodsman or I would have boutght them. You see them on Ebay every once and a while u.

Brian S. Goodman

Brian S. Goodman
Brian S. Goodman

robbersroost1

Maybe the best Tyran out there, check out //www.clarionconst.com click other events then vintage motorcycle. There is a Wassell Trials also,plus much more. You must visit this sight. Thanks Dalesman49 for showing the way to these outstanding bikes.

Terry Laible
Terry Laible