Grounding

Started by tmc3c, December 29, 2003, 07:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

After you have had your frame painted "powder coated" How much do I need to grind back off to ground the engine? One engine bolt hole or all four?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

t20sl

Only one good point is needed.  I use a little dielectric grease at the point of contact also.  Helps keep corrosion away.  Also ground coil mount, etc..

Dennis D

Tom, If you only take the paint off of one point be sure to check your motor mounting bolts often. I have had a problem on an HD where the paint wore off at the mounting points on the frame due to engine vibration and the bolts became loose. Dennis D

Kip Kern

Thomas

I will have the paint removed from all mounting holes on the engine.  You can't have enough grounding points.  Like mentioned earlier, use dielectric grease on the mounting points before tightening up the engine.  Also, sand the frame bare and the coil bracket when mounting the coil.  Just got the clutch plates and a cooler!

tmc3c

Thank's Guy's, now where do I find this grease? Would Lowe's have it? Kip, Thank's for all of your hard work on my engine,now I want you to keep all of those "SPEED MOD'S" on the down low...and if you can figure out what they were trying to do with them, let me know.Sound's like ever who had this engine was looking for something in the dark. [8D][8D]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tanz

I dont know if Lowe's would have it, but any auto parts store should carry it "dielectric grease"
Steve
10 Beta 520 RR
77 GS6 400
73 Hare Scrambler 250
72 Six Days 125-Sold
71 Cat 350X

TGTech

Tom,

It is absolutely essential that you grind the powder coating off some of the engine mounts, because if you don't you will not establish a ground between the stator and the coil. This ground path is essential for the Motoplat ignitions to run. The PVL people tell me that it isn't absolutely necessary for the PVL systems to work, but I've found that it is still better if you do.

Dane Leimbach
Penton Imports Co., Inc.

swamp fox

Hi Thomas,
How's it going in the upstate? You're farther along than me on your frame, but your grin will increase when your motor shows up on the doorstep in that cooler!:D Doug had mine so nice, that's why I stripped down the frame and am painting mine. Anyway, Boaters World had some dielectric grease down here, so they should have it there also.;) Hope all went well for Christmas. Happy New Year.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

tmc3c

Thank's Steve,I will check it out.         Dane, I am going to be running the new PVL system,I still have the old electronics,but I hear that the new PVL is the way to go,and after coming this far I can't look back now,but this 2004 PENTON 250GS is getting costly!!                Bobby, Yeah Man we had a nice Christmas and boy what a Christmas party after work!! Turkey is sure a rough bird! oooh Whee! Are you powder coating or enamel painting? I will find the grease now that I know what I am hunting!        All HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR ABD STAY AWAY FROM THE TURKEY!!! [:p][|)]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler