TRIPLE CLAMP BEARINGS

Started by Rain Man, January 03, 2004, 04:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Man

I got a 1973 Jackpiner triple tree all apart, and, I was wondering about the ball bearing races.   There appears to be an upper and lower race with different #'s.  Which ones suppose to go out and which ones in??  The races I removed are totally trashed, so I'm thinking they were installed wrong from the last servicing
  Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Doug Wilford

Rain Man;   You have picked a good subject.  I am sure there are those of us out here that are a bit confused about the two different part numbers.   I haven't had the luck to acquire the two new races to make a positive statement.  If there is a shoulder hight difference I would put the tall ones in the frame.  First I would check the fit to the frame, then the fit to the lower spindle.  I think you will find no visual differences.   This should open the topic to debate and get some further input from others.   Trashed races are usually from either lots of use even with good maintenance or just lousey maintenance and leaving the steering head to loose.  Good luck on finding new races.   1/4 in. balls are not to hard to find.

Rain Man

Thanks Doug these are the # AND mfg.for the races, STEYR 9937051 and 9937050, the ball bearings measure .272/7mm an RCH larger than a quarter. The triple tree I'm working with had the 9937051 races pressed into the top preload/adjusting nut and the bottom of the center shaft.  Removing the bottom clamp took me 2 hours !! The steel 8mm clamping  bolts were frozen to the aluminum threads.  thankfully with a little patience and a lot of experience, I got the thing apart with nothing broken!!
  One of the suppliers had the bearing in stock,so  I ordered it.  I'll talk to the bearing lady tomorrow    and see if this thing is obsolete or not.
  Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Randy Kirkbride

Rain Man,
Just checked the #s on the races of a 250 frame that I have apart & they are both the same #9937050.  I don't have the one off the triple clamp so I can't help you with that one.

DKWRACER

At one point, Dr.2-Stroke had mentioned that he had races, what is the meaning of "RCH"?. At one POINT,"RCH" was a demeaning sexual connotation which is not allowed on this site.......honor bestows privledges, keep this site clean, please....
Thomas Brosius

crash carden

Hello again Rainman! I got my steering steem races for my 73 Jackpiner from Berry Higgins KTM. He had both inter,top & bottom races and outer races,both top and bottom.He is listed on the parts supply page of this website. Good luck! Crash Carden, GO TEAM PENTON!

Rain Man

Thanks Crash, thats good to know that particular bearing is still available. I've handled and seen a lot of  bearings and low and behold here comes a STEYR. Something new every day!!
 Raymond.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons