Re-pop 175 Headlight Nacelle??

Started by DKWRACER, January 09, 2004, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

I have a very good original, in order to re-pop this piece, I have to plug every hole in order to make a master. The opening for the headlight is approx 3 1/4 in. the repops cannot have all of their original openings ie: gromment hole for the throttle cable, slots for the rubber straps, hole for the on/off switch. hole for the adj. point for the headlight tilt etc....I would need a commitment from a few in order to do this....this is a rare item, how rare I don't know, was this stock on 175's ?, if so how many were actually supplied as an option, or as not...In addition, once repop'd I would not be able to re-open the original openingings as is very labor intensive (Dremel) time, but I am willing to try......
Thomas Brosius

Randy Kirkbride

Mark Annan

What year are you talking about?  If it is for the later style Falk headlights I know of a supplier for very high quality reproductions at a reasonable price.  If you are talking about the Preston Petty headlight I have heard a few other discussions about reproducing them.  There is definitely interest in them.

DKWRACER

Well the anticipated re-pops are not Preston Pettys, what I have may be Falks but one picture is worth words, do you have a link to view what your friend has? Tom.....
Thomas Brosius

Randy Kirkbride

Mark Annan

What year are you talking about?  If it is for the later style Falk headlights I know of a supplier for very high quality reproductions at a reasonable price.  If you are talking about the Preston Petty headlight I have heard a few other discussions about reproducing them.  There is definitely interest in them.

DKWRACER

Well the anticipated re-pops are not Preston Pettys, what I have may be Falks but one picture is worth words, do you have a link to view what your friend has? Tom.....
Thomas Brosius

DKWRACER

There is more to know, it comes in waves, only thru communiction, was blown away today ,have a headache.....
Thomas Brosius

rob w

Remember your oxygen there is thinner, that a deep breath.

firstturn

DKW,
Was it what I thought it was?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

BrianTaylor

Brian Taylor

BrianTaylor

oops sorry how does one put a picture in this body.....I clicked on the "insert Picture " and it wont work..... I have seen it done  confused BT:(

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

DKWRACER

After carefull consideration and with the help of a few, I will probably go ahead and reproduce a few of these. Most of my proof of authenticity comes from the links to the Italian KTM website. Of interest, is that a lot of photos show a curved numberplate portion (1977 category) there are a couple of photos which show my flatter type, also interesting topic are the two blubs molded into the Nacelle. At some point of conversation, it was thought that this Nacelle came of at Yamaha (1977?) with the large "air pots" which were unique for the front suspension of that era. Some of the photos on this site do indeed show the bulbs being present in the number plate area. Also of particular notice was most of the Euro's have their Marzocchis mounted with the reservoir in the down position, did the Frenchies (in their quest to sabbotage the Italians) (pun intended) try to ruin their day....Hah, a little humor never hurts eh???
Thomas Brosius

imported_n/a

Tom, I looked at my Penton brochures and found what appears to be your piece in an early '75 small brochure, which looks like one of the Penton boys or team riders in an event, maybe the ISDT.  It is a small picture, but places in time what might be what you have.

Glenn

firstturn

Tom,
Glen could be right on this one.  It seems that a euro picture with either Italy or one of the countrys had this set up.  Another input was  a Fauk?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh