WINTER PROJECTS

Started by Rain Man, January 22, 2004, 08:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Man

I'm curious how many of you Poggers out there are in the process of rebuilding and bringing another one of these Pentons back on line this winter.  I got 3 of them, they've been pretty much neglected for 30 years, I know I'll have a 73 6 day running in the spring. My beloved Jackpiner, Penelope Penton,  the compliments of a Hew barn, for 20 years, Maybe by fall.  My 3rd one, another Jackpiner, I'm gonna give it a name, itsamess. what do you Poggers got cooking??  Dont be bashful, tell us !!
 Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

pentonpal

Raymond,

I'm working on a 72 Berkshire at the moment, with lapses to a real piece of cobbled together junk I purchased mainly for the handlebars.

The Berkshire is doing well.  Since Thanksgiving: totally stripped, frame painted, chainguard mount repaired, Radaelli rims re-chromed (expensive), tank polished, original front alloy fender polished, repro rear fender purchased yet to install, new carb parts, spokes polished, new tires, back together and running.  Shifting problems past 3rd gear - my project this weekend.

The piece of junk just got a new piston (last over), but I broke a ring tonight which is why I am on the computer and not in the garage.  Some nights enough is enough.

Winter is the best for us here in the south - you can actually work in the garage in Jan.  Summer is a different ballgame.

Cheer,  Scott (Houston, TX)

Rocket

This fall/winter, I have finished a 72 6-day, a 77 100 and working on a 73 6-day.  I have been working on the 77 100 for better than a year and the 72 probably 6 months.  Everytime I get one done I think, this is the last one, and what do you know, [:0] I start on another. [:0]
Rocket

tmc3c

Hi Raymond, I will have my 1976 250 gs ready to go from a ground up resto in a couple of month's!!    OH YEAH!! and it only took me about 3 year's!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Kip Kern

Raymond

I am currently working on 3 Penton restorations for a friend, a 73 100, 72 125, and Wassell which I will deliver to VMD.  I also finished 7 KTM engines and 2 Sachs for my own bike collection.  In the past three months have also built 7 other engines for friends and am also, and don't faint, restoring a 75 1/2 MC 250 Maico[xx(], for my private collection!

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Raymond,
I'm working on my '75 250 Enduro and my '73 Jackpiner.

Did anyone ever notice that restoring an old Penton usually means buffing, polishing, scrubbing, scouring, digging, scraping, & blasting, sanding, & painting?  I go through about ten toothbrushes per restoration.  Didn't anyone ever clean their bike before they parked them in the barn?[V]

BrianTaylor

I am working on a 74 125 gs that I bought new ....got away from me for almost 30 years and got her back ....present stage  is now completly disassembled but all parts are cleaned , plated, painted , replaced and ready to go back together as soon as it warms up a little .... target for the kick over end of April 04 for her 30 th year birthday in May:D.. A welcomed addition for her 74 125sd sister .    [8D]Brian T

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

metalkfab

'75 250 MX,'76 125 MC5,'76 250 MC5,'74 125 MX,'73/'74 250 MX. All bikes in some stage of refurbishment.At the rate I'm going maybe this year! I haven't started on a '73 Piner,'78 400 and some other KTM that I haven't really looked at yet.OH YEA,I've got to rebuild a "blown up good" 125D (or is that DW and I gots to rebuild this motor.Yes yes yes thats what we gots to do if we want to race this year).

firstturn

Karl,
Don't let the sun get in your eyes when DDW is making you build that engine.  You know it's an old gun fighters trick.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

herman

I have just completed a 1974 250,Then i just bought two 175 jackpinners will have them complete in a couple more weeks and when al has the wiseco piston made, Then i bought a 1976 125 that was running and complete so it doent need much all will be complete by the spring. Herm
Herm

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
Been working on my 72 100 Bershire for a couple months now and hope to have it done within a week or so. Had the frame powdercoated, installed new Falk fenders and complete enduro kit. Bike should look real nice when all assembled. It's been alot of work and expense but well worth it in the end. Hoping I'll be able to take it and my Wassell up to VMD this summer to ride around and show them off.
Dave McCullough

Don Roth

Im my future is a badly neglected 71 six day, complete with
partial alloy fenders, no handlebars, controls or carb, but
hey, ya gotta start somewhere. I hope the winter cooperates and
allows some 'back yard riding' to sort this one out, actually
looking forward to tearing this one down, it will be in the
garage along side the 72 berk, 73 6 day and 72 piner soon enough.
Cheapest therapy I have found, and when you are done, you
have a desirable bike instead of Dr's bill.
-don

Dennis Jones

I finished another Wassell in the fall, this one for my brother to compete on in 04. Currently finishing up a 1974 125 MX. Building this bike with a down pipe and custom airbox and side panels. Also need to finish up a 74 250 that is currently scattered around in 2 different garages. Back burner has a newly aquired 1975 125 and a Tyran MX.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Kevin Grimes

Guys,
 I'm in the process of restoring my 68 Berkshire. I'd say it's about 75% complete, just need sone warmer weather to paint some parts,and
some fabrication work. I.E. fender brackket and pipe.

cleantrap

Quotequote:Originally posted by Rain Man

I'm curious how many of you Poggers out there are in the process of rebuilding and bringing another one of these Pentons back on line this winter.  I got 3 of them, they've been pretty much neglected for 30 years, I know I'll have a 73 6 day running in the spring. My beloved Jackpiner, Penelope Penton,  the compliments of a Hew barn, for 20 years, Maybe by fall.  My 3rd one, another Jackpiner, I'm gonna give it a name, itsamess. what do you Poggers got cooking??  Dont be bashful, tell us !!
 Raymond