HELP

Started by Robin, January 24, 2004, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

My brother, Joe Witter died on Jan 13, 2004 at the age of 45.  As I was going thru his things I found a letter dated Nov 2, 1972 from John A. Penton.  He would have been 14 at that time.  It brought back great memories of our moto-x days. It also made me remember that at one time Joe was on the Penton poster.  If I remember right, it was of 2 riders.  Joe was #08. As with any teenager, he had written a letter to Mr. Penton asking about the 250cc Penton and Mr Penton wrote "It is true, Jack was riding a 250cc Penton at St.Louis.  However, it was still a proto model and production won't start until after the first of the year."  The letter goes on to say that "It is my intnetions to see that riders like yourself will receive one of the irst in the country but we can't very well rush the issue."  Of course there is more to the letter. My reason for posting this is, I was wondering if it was possible to find this old poster with my brother.  My family (my mother and myself) Have an old one that is very damaged and not repairable.  Could someone e=mail me and let me know where I might find one?  Thank you, Robin

tmc3c

Robin, Sorry for to hear of your loss, the guy's here if they can will help I am sure. God will give you comfort!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Robin,
I also am sorry to hear of your loss.  If you have the means to take a digital picture and e-mail it to me I will try to locate one.

[email protected]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Robin,
   I also feel very bad about the loss of your brother.  I do have the poster that you are looking for.  The picture captures two Pentons in midair, almost side by side, with your brother # 08 just ahead of the other rider, it is a wonderful action shot!!!  Your brother must have been very proud to be on such a poster.  The poster that I have is torn a bit near the left bottom where it says, " Penton Built for Champions", but for as old as it is it is in decent condition, it measures about 24" X 34". If you will email me at [email protected] with your address I will send it to you.
Paul Danik

Larry Perkins

Robin,

Hope you see this.  Joe was a very smart kid and very talented at a young age on the motorcycle.  I knew Joe a bit back then for a short time when we all hung out at and raced motorcycles in the shadows of the Kassons of Bill Kasson Yamaha Fame.  

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  I remember when that picture was shot.  I want to say that Richard Creed took the pic but I am scrambled some from a severe concussion not a year later.  I think Mark Roberts was the other rider.  I am pretty sure it was off the big jump at Lockhart MX Park.  

I am glad that Paul is sending you the poster.  In the heart of an athlete there is nothing sweeter than that rare photo of us doing our thing that truely "Captures the Moment".  In that poster I think you will always see one of those moments.  When I have seen it a few times over the years since it has done that for me.  May God ease your families sorrows until you see Joe again.

Thanks for the moment, guys.  This was important for me.

tmc3c

Way to go guy's !!! This is what makes our "family" so great!! And I am PROUD TO BE A POGGER!!!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mick Milakovic

Robin, I am sorry for your loss, also.  But what a marvelous story and connection with the past!  All this makes me wonder if a reproduction of the poster, like the recent one of the '75 six-day (I think), is possible?

Mick