Interesting memorabilia on eBay.

Started by Mark Annan, January 29, 2004, 03:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Annan

Hey guys Viking Motors has some interesting memorabilia for sale on eBay.  I thought some of you might want to have a look.  Especially at this one:

Husqvarna John Jeff Penton Motocross Entry Item number: 2457220696  

Mark A

LynnCamp

Hey Mark,
Thanks for the tip.  Looks like Ron Carbaugh may be bidding on this.

BTW... are you and your wife coming to the AMA next weekend?  If so, our better halves can commiserate on having their wedding anniversary day superseded by IDSTRR events.

Mark Annan

Unfortunately I can't make it over for the weekend.  I really wish I could,  know it will be great.  We will have to try and meet some other time.  

Mark

firstturn

Mark, Lynn and others,
  My high bid for this item is $25.11 so if any other POG member wants it I won't bid again.  I just didn't want this item to go unappreciated or not sold.  I have other examples of his autograph.  Soooo every body knows where I am on this item.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Hi everyone, On Ebay there's also an item named: "Penton Imports Koni shock bulletin", help me here, I was not aware that any Pentons came with Koni shocks, can anyone tell me more like which year and model could have had Koni's. Thanks alot!

firstturn

rob w,
  I had a pair sent to me after I received my 1973 250 Penton.  I was just told to put those on my bike.  I did have other updated shocks sent to me, but I believe this was the only set of Konis that I got from Penton.
  I did get some replacement shocks for my '73 Berkshire and for my '73/74 Six Day, but I can't remember the brands because I was having Charles Curnutts build my shocks by then.
  I'm trying to look at a picture of my 250, but I can't tell if the Konis are on in this picture.  I hope this information is correct because this is by memory since the documents/Manual I had went with the Terror,Opps I meant 250, when I sold it.
  Great Memories.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

LynnCamp

Doug Wilford indicated in an older post that the "Chrome Moly Frames 72-73-74 have 13 inch eye to eye OEM Ceriani and Girlings. Steel Tank 69-70-71 13 3/4" eye to eye Ceriani".  

The only reference to a shock brand name in "The Penton Production Guide" is for the 1976 KTM powered bikes with Marzocchi gas charged rear shocks.  The guide also indicates that the 1978 bikes came with Marzocchi, but I can't find specific mention of rear shock brand names for the other years.

It seems like a lot of the MXers liked to replace the Girlings with Koni because the Girlings weren't holding up.  So maybe Penton Imports was responding to that market.  Should be interesting to see how the experts weigh in on this.  

Kip Kern

The last two 250's (73-74) I tore down had Koni shocks on them.  Also, the 75 Maico I just tore down had them too (original shock)  I have seen them a lot on the Penton 250's. [?]

rob w

Thanks all, Yes, I believe you're right, if my memory serves me correct, I seem to recall the only stock Penton's I've seen wearing Koni's were early Hare Scramblers.
And this bulletin is dated March 74, I think?
I have 4 magazine with test articles on gold tank Hare Scramblers, and more with the early red ones. This weekend I'll go thru and look for something in reference to this.
I have an early red tank/ silver motor Hare Scrambler with frame #'s 312. It has it's original shocks, which are Girlings.

Thanks again everyone.

firstturn

I think Lynn brings up a good point about Penton Imports responding to the market.  Back in '73 I was questioned about the Konis by other riders, but I just promoted the company (Penton) by saying that they build the best bikes and update them when possible.
  But remember that back then we built so much of our go fast parts ourselves and really didn't share ideas for fear of giving up ground to our competition.
  And another topic about THOSE DAYS, I can remember seeing riders being sponsored  by brand name products and not using them on/or in their own bikes.  The best example of this that I can think of is when Pennzoil made a run at marketing Two Stroke oil.  Riders took their money, but didn't use their oil.
  Just good thoughts of Those Days.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

LynnCamp

I had the opposite problem.  Yamaha used me in their ads without asking and without paying.  I thought it cool at the time-- ahhh youth!

Ron - while promoting Penton, were you riding and/or working for Penton?  BTW -- How's the weather in the great state of Texas?  Regarding the Konis... me thinks the gurus must be busy with the AMA event, but hopefully they will weigh in with the final scoop.

firstturn

Lynn,
  I was being helped by Penton and then by other sponsors by way of gear and financially.  Anytime I recieved help I tried to pay it back in trifold.  Some of the dealers that helped me I have never forgot them ever, and especially after I got into the  idustry.      Actually while racing I worked on the systems side of Computers in the early days.
  Wild mixture, but it worked for me.
  Dealers or should I say Good Dealers are/were the real backbone of our racing industry.
  Weather is around 55 today (Kerrville,Tx).  Hope it gets to 70 tomorrow.
  Most of the guys are working the Cleveland M/C Show this weekend.  Penton Owners Group does have a booth there at the show.  Sooo that means that Paul and Doug should make some great finds by talking with people.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

LynnCamp

I am sure the help they gave you was well-deserved...  I seem to remember that the Motocrossers had more opportunity for sponsors.  Looking back, I am just suprised that Yamaha could publish stuff without a release of some kind.  I forgot about the show in Cleveland.  They are going to be pooped doing that two weekends in a row.

firstturn

Lynn,
  Moto X was/is my true love.  But you must remember we didn't have any really good sauctioned (AMA) tracks in the south.  The money was in what people close to AMA called outlaw tracks.  It was wide open and a great thing for deposits in the memory bank.  Thanks for the recall of memories.  All because of something on eBay.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

desmond197

The Penton 125 Woodsman I got at Mid Ohio last year had Koni's with Chrome springs on them and they look like they came stock on the bike. The bike seemed compete with very low mileage on it when I redid the motor. My 1974 125 Six Day has Koni's on it but I do not know if they came stock on the bike. They do work very well in compairision to the Works performance shocks on my other 6 Day.