Were Pentons ever equipped w/Koni's

Started by rob w, February 01, 2004, 12:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Well to answer my own question, I found some magazine quotes that may provide some clues.

Apr.74 MXA- "as this issue was nearing printing, John Penton called to inform us that all Penton 250's will heretofore be equipped with a new model Koni rear shock, built to KTM specs. The change will be retroactive to all bikes still on the dealer floors.
 Though the Penton we tested was a 1973 model, the only changes to the new '74 Hare Scrambler will be a red gas tank instead of yellow, and a silver painted engine. Of course, the new Koni shocks will be standard equipment on all '74's."

June 74, Dirt Rider- "Shocks used to be Girling which caused a little grief. Our bike was one of the first red tankers (#241) and still had the Girling 60-90 combination. New Pentons will come with Koni's made especially for Pentons. John of-the-nth-degree Penton sent us a pair real quick-like and they are swell."

Another thing about that Koni shock bulletin on ebay, there's one page on it that shows the different shocks positions available, and  the travel achieved in each position. Well that same diagram was printed in "Keeping Track" and I think some owners manuals. But it is pertaining to the new multi-position frame of 74 1/2 models, and we know they all came with new Ceriani's.

It's all fun, thanks, see ya.

firstturn

rob w,
  Since you are now answering your own questions similar to one talking to themselve and answering.  I would think you might qualify to be a Dalesman Salesman.:D

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

[:0]Ohh Ohh, You're right Ron, I'm starting to lose it...now I'm talking to myself on-line.:D Maybe no one else noticed.[^]

LynnCamp

I am still a little confused.  It sounds like Doug Wilford's older post that says "Chrome Moly Frames 72-73-74 have 13 inch eye to eye OEM Ceriani and Girlings and that the Steel Tank 69-70-71 13 3/4" had eye to eye Ceriani" is correct ... and it should be added that the Steel Tankers had Girlings on the rear? ... and also noted that in 1974, the Girling 60-90 combination was replaced by a Koni (made to John's specifications), on the CFM red tankers some time after #241(according to Dirt Rider 6/74)?  

Also.. what about "The Penton Production Guide" reference to the 1976 KTM powered bikes having Marzocchi gas charged rear shocks. The guide also indicates that the 1978 bikes came with Marzocchi, and the Production Guide has no mention of rear shock brand names for the other years.... so should the rear shock specifications for Koni be added?

I guess this is an example of Penton's continuous improvement making it difficult to chronicle the stock/factory equipment.

rob w

It's my opinion that very few Pentons ever got their retro-fitted Koni's, because only a few months later they started wearing Ceriani's.

FYI- All this sort of imformation is being researched as we speak by a team of chosen experts. The study will reflect on the constant changes and time periods of each.

Every steel tanker I've seen had Ceriani shocks, so you're saying some 71's had Girlings? I did not know that.

firstturn

Koni Shocks

The MXA and DR have it only partially right, because not all of the dealers put on or offered the Konis to their customers.  I know this is shocking news, but it happened.  Thank you rob w for having fun with the Dalesman yoke.  I for one will never forget it.  Good job.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

desmond197

The Penton Woodsman came with Koni shocks on the rear. The Woodsman I bought at Mid Ohio last year had Koni's with chrome springs. The bike was complete and with low hours on it and the guy I got it from did not know much about it. My 125 Six Day also came witha set of Koni's on it but I do not know if they were stock. The shocks do work very well.

Kip Kern

Since Koni is still in business, maybe we can con them into reproducing OEM Vintage replacements for our and other bikes[?]