oil in 74 400 penton forks

Started by thedish, February 03, 2004, 01:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedish

how much oil in each fork leg of a 74 penton 400 mint

w. terry dishroon
w. terry dishroon

Mike Lenz

Take out the springs, put in about 220 cc,s of 15 wt oil, pump up and down a few times.  Then collapse the forks all the way and using a fork oil tool or a turkey baster, mark it at 6.25 inches, use a piece of fuel line if need be, and suck the oil out to that level from the top of the fork tube. With the forks set up this way you will never feel them bottom hard.
Mike

john durrill

Mike. what level would you use in a set of 200 mm forks? 6.25 for mx and 6 for a soft trail set up? they will be on my 125/175 so the bike is 30 lbs lighter than a KTM 175 piner.
John D.

Mike Lenz

John, I would stick with the 6,25 inches. To go "softer" you would go to 6.5" down but this only primarily effects bottoming resistance. to go "softer for woods work I would go with 10 wt. oil.

Kip Kern

Question:  What is the deal on the Ceriani's with 200 stamped on the lower legs?  I have some and was curious!  Are these different than the standard 35's that came on the 250/400?[?]

firstturn

Kip,
  I always thought they were talking about the longer of the two sets of tubes available for the 35mm forks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Kip,
 thats my understanding. the ones with 200 stamped on the legs are 10 mm longer travel. i guess the blade reinforcement on the lower legs came later on the 200 mm forks
John D.

Kip Kern

Thanks Guy's, I guess I have a few sets of "chopper" forks to put on my Pentons:D

firstturn

Kip,
  If you put 10 inch (eye to eye) shocks on the bike you won't need a milk crate to stand on to start it and It looks cool in Daytona on Atlantic Avenue:D.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Ron

Now of days, I would have trouble starting a new 50cc bike, the old knees just aren't what they used to be!  When I raced a KTM 400 4stroke a few years back, I always stopped near a stump or in a deep rut, same way with crashing!:D

Rocket

My 75 175 has 35mm forks, no ribs and 200 stamped on the lower part of the slider.  I have a pair of 35mm with rib and they don't have anything stamped on them.  
Rocket

Kip Kern

My 200's have no ribs either?

john durrill

Kip, Rob,
Give Bobby Lucas a call . He knows a lot about the 200 mm forks. I was told that in MX ( lots of jumps and big whoops) the ones with out a rib can be a problem. that's if the bike is pushed to the edge of the envelope  in travel. Bob can tell you better what to look out for.
For me they would never be a problem. I trail ride and once a year the RR.
John D.

Rocket

Rob
The Marzocchi's are supposed to be the goldish/brown color.  I could not find the proper color and if anybody knows of the proper color, I would appreciate the info.
My 72 6-day had the original cables, tank/airbox cover has not been painted,just polished, motor has original paint and bore.  Bike had minimum time and very little offroad.  Looked absolutely terrible when I bought it a couple years ago, wondered why I bought it at the time.  Thanks for the compliment.  I believe that is my favorite Penton.
Rod

Kip Kern

John

Thanks for the info, mine will go on "sitters" ,on occasion, pushed around the shop![:o)]