Can't shift passed 3rd gear

Started by pentonpal, February 07, 2004, 05:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentonpal

Poggers,

My problem has been solved by my association wih fellow Poggers - namely Ron Carbaugh with some consulting from Doug Wilford.  I purchased a 72 Berkshire from Ron in November and have gotten it cleaned up, back together and running.  Only problem was the inability to shift passed 3rd gear.

Ron phoned the other night to see how things were going on the Berkshire.  I explained my shifting troubles.  Next night he called back with a possible solution - check for mud buildup in the countershaft.  Today I dug a mudpack out of my countershaft, and voila, the bike is now a six speed.

You can't buy these relationships, there is just something special about the Penton family.  Just wanted all Poggers to know how much their advice is appreciated.  Ron is a great guy I have only met recently, and I have never met Doug, but their contributions to my small project have been large.  Just wanted to express my appreciation.

Scott

firstturn

Scott and other Members,
  I would feel remiss if I didn't thank the person that taught me how to work on Sachs engines and encouraged me to buy the factory tools.
  His name is Kenneth Oubre and was the total Penton 125 racer(MX).  Kenneth taught me the hands on and was THE person who told me it was OK to race, but if you want to Win buy a Penton.
  Then we all know the Master - Doug Wilford.
  So Scott thanks for the kind words and I know you will help other Penton owners because that is your style.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by pentonpal

Poggers,

My problem has been solved by my association wih fellow Poggers - namely Ron Carbaugh with some consulting from Doug Wilford.  I purchased a 72 Berkshire from Ron in November and have gotten it cleaned up, back together and running.  Only problem was the inability to shift passed 3rd gear.

Ron phoned the other night to see how things were going on the Berkshire.  I explained my shifting troubles.  Next night he called back with a possible solution - check for mud buildup in the countershaft.  Today I dug a mudpack out of my countershaft, and voila, the bike is now a six speed.

You can't buy these relationships, there is just something special about the Penton family.  Just wanted all Poggers to know how much their advice is appreciated.  Ron is a great guy I have only met recently, and I have never met Doug, but their contributions to my small project have been large.  Just wanted to express my appreciation.

Scott

And I was going to send you a 7 speed gearbox,...hmmm to bad,to late.
Speedy->>>>:D[}:)][:p]

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02

firstturn

Speedy,
  Doug Wilford told me to watch you real close.  But my Husky has a 8 speed?  Any 9 speeds out there?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Speedy,
  Doug Wilford told me to watch you real close.  But my Husky has a 8 speed?  Any 9 speeds out there?

Ron Carbaugh
Well maybe DOUG is right because whenever I reach FIRSTTURN first I am in the lead,...lol,.Speedy---->>>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02