Stuck crank or?

Started by vitaminT, February 09, 2004, 10:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vitaminT

The 175 engines rod is free but the crank is really stuck. The clutch gear is free. The motoplat was rusty so I removed it then removed the blue seal. Looking at the crank bearings from the ignition and clutch side they look alright. No rust and they move freely. Can the case be split for inspection without removing the clutch gear and crank gear? I have never split a horizontal case before. Is there anything I should be aware of before doing so. Is there anything down behind the crank that can come loose and jam it? Any suggestions or help would be most helpful.
Thanks to All
Vance

Auto5guy

Hello Vance

The direct answer to your question is that yes you could technically split the case without removing the pinion gear and the clutch basket.  The crank stays in the clutch side when the cases are separated.  However it would likely be best to pull them while the engine is together. Whatever the problem is the crank will almost certainly have to come out to solve it.  It's even possible that the crank could break loose while you are trying to remove the pinion nut.

I just got through reassembling my 250 engine and I would definitely not attempt it with out a manual.  The transmission gears scattered when I separated the cases I would have been lost without the manual.  Manuals are available from several sources here.

Be aware that there are two bearings on the clutch side of the crank.  There is a beveled thrust washer under the outer bearing that can fall out and become lost.  Ask me how I know.[:p]

I had a parts engine that had a stuck crank.  The mains were fine.  The rod was fine.  When I split it open I found that moisture had settled into the crank case and the magnesium had corroded and grown into the balancing holes on the crank and locked it up solid.

Good luck to you.

Matthew
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by vitaminT

The 175 engines rod is free but the crank is really stuck. The clutch gear is free. The motoplat was rusty so I removed it then removed the blue seal. Looking at the crank bearings from the ignition and clutch side they look alright. No rust and they move freely. Can the case be split for inspection without removing the clutch gear and crank gear? I have never split a horizontal case before. Is there anything I should be aware of before doing so. Is there anything down behind the crank that can come loose and jam it? Any suggestions or help would be most helpful.
Thanks to All
Vance

Stay in touch with me and we get the Baby running again.
Speedy---->>>>>>>;)

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com SACHS 250 GP-GS 7 A reeds.Zuendapp 125 GS 73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02