The Six Day Evolution Challenge, (home version)

Started by rob w, February 22, 2004, 09:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Below is a list of ten updated parts or changes that happened in the evolution of the Penton Six Day 125, from late 1973 through 1974.

Referring to them using the "keyword", see if you can arrange them in the time table sequence they appeared from the earliest at the top of your list to the latest at the bottom. They are in no particular order as listed here.

KEYWORD ............Discription      
 Decal...........Long Black & white striped tank decal replaces small "Six Day 125cc" decal.
 Side Panel........Plastic 1 pc. side panel replaces separate exhaust guard & number plate.
 Hubs..............Magnesium hubs replace aluminum hubs.
 Cables............Two spring cables securring gas tank replaces leather strap.
 Seat..............Short Tall seat replaces Short Low seat
 End Cap........Bolt-on exhaust "end cap" replaces using 3 spring mounting.
 Tank..............1.8 gal. sleek MX tank replaces toaster style tank.
 Forks.............35mm Ceriani forks replace 32mm units.
 Rims..............Alloy aluminum rims replace steel rims.
 Fenders...........White plastic fenders replace aluminum fenders.

Several items may coincide in their arrival times, see what you come up with. Winner receives a beautiful NOS Penton part.

Thanks,
B;)B

DKWRACER

Here Goes
Rims..............Alloy aluminum rims replace steel rims

Forks.............35mm Ceriani forks replace 32mm units
Side Panel........Plastic 1 pc. side panel replaces separate exhaust guard & number plate.
End Cap........Bolt-on exhaust "end cap" replaces using 3 spring mounting.
Decal...........Long Black & white striped tank decal replaces small "Six Day 125cc" decal.
Tank..............1.8 gal. sleek MX tank replaces toaster style tank
Fenders...........White plastic fenders replace aluminum fenders

Boy you sure know how to jog ones memory (deviousity)
Now I have a headache!!!!

Thomas Brosius

rob w

You're getting warmer, thanks Tom. Get some asprin and go for it again. Your list is up-side down, but that's fine.

DKWRACER

Nah!!! I'll be the Sacrificial Lamb...next up IS ???? (one try only)
Thomas Brosius

metalkfab

Side panels were fiberglass until '75 models.Rims were Steel until '75 models also.However '75 models were in production as of late '74.Now if we could only find the model year cut-in date!

Rocket

Year 73:
End Cap........Bolt-on exhaust "end cap" replaces using 3 spring mounting
Tank..............1.8 gal. sleek MX tank replaces toaster style tank
Fenders...........White plastic fenders replace aluminum fenders.

Year 74:

Year 75:
Forks.............35mm Ceriani forks replace 32mm units
Rims..............Alloy aluminum rims replace steel rims

Rob
Thanks for the challenge, always fun with trivia.
Rod

DKWRACER

There is no real winner here, except us "the Penton Owners Group"
In the shape of a heart[8D]
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

rob w,
  As always Rocket is in the game strong.  The 35mm Ceriani forks were in '74 with the leather tank strap.
  QUESTION:Tanks - are you refering to the first MX tank or what some of us have agreed to call the watermelon style?
  Also the bolt on exhaust "end cap" models were known as '74 in our area.  I will have to check some pictures.
  Rocket if I'm wrong I go to the corner and have a time out with a 70's MX Action.

Good job Rob.  Flat Tracker Action will start soon:).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Admin

Rob,
I see you got the draft for the new production year guide for the website that Karen & I sent to you and a few others on Saturday.  As we stated in the email, any feedback from you or others who are reading this message thread will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

rob w

Hello Bill, Unfortunately I did not get to see them, but I knew that you sent me something, thanks. I've got to find out what my password is to get into a "filing cabinet" or "download manager" or something like that. I sent you another message to give you my fax number, if that would be handy at all.
Bob

Rocket

Ron
I am not sure of this, but I thought-think, the 175 in 74 came with 35mm forks but the 100/125 still had the 32's.  Anyone know forsure?
This is fun. :D
Rod

firstturn

Rod,
  I sold Bob Andersohn a '74 Penton 125 at Mid-Ohio that had 35mm forks and the leather strap.  I don't have the frame number handy, but I thought it had steel rims.  Kip has the bike so maybe he can add some light to the fun:D.  The '74 Jackpiner 175 I sold sometime back had the 35mm forks.  Let's see what the frame number is on the '74 I sold so we can start all over again.  I have a 125 Penton that was built in 4/09 that had the rubber tank strapes, aluminum rims and 35mm forks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rocket

Ron
Your 4/09 bike was probably sold as a 75, don't you think?  I don't remember seeing any 74 bikes with the cables holding the tanks on until 75.  
Rod

firstturn

Rocket,
  Sorry for the confussion.  The 4/09 bike is definitely a '75(lay down shocks).  But the one I sold to Bob Anersohn I feel is a '74 and has 35mm and leather strap.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

metalkfab

In the summer of 1974,I took delivery of a Brand New 100cc. Berkshire. It came with plastic fenders,(2)cables to hold tank,steel Radelli Rims,short/tall seat,small fiberglass tank,and prior to picking it up,Ralph @ Penton Honda called and asked if I wanted the New internal rotor Motoplat,which they swapped out with the old Motoplat.And it did have those cool Penton nameplates covering the ground-off Sachs name ,plus the "Special KTM Tuning" stickers on the engine.Oh yea,long Penton strip tank decals,Twin Air air filter.I do think I PEE'D my pants when I picked it up!Should have never sold it.Oh, I forgot---35mm.forks. And Ron,I thought the "watermelon" tank was the big sucker that came on the '75 enduro models.