Zundapp dealers

Started by OhioTed, March 15, 2004, 03:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Having noticed that Speedy's list of bikes includes a Zundapp, thought I would relate the following story:  While wandering through Beaver, Pennsylvania back about 1977, my attention was captured by a storefront business right on the downtown square with a Zundapp sign out front.  I stopped to check it out, of course, and found that sure enough, the facility was a dirt bike shop featuring Zundapps.  The owner's name and much in the way of detail is lost to time, long days in the saddle wearing heavily mud-caked helmets, and various substances I was (accidently) exposed to back then.  That same day, I happened across Ingram's Penton outside of the same town.  Mr. Ingram was operating the shop out of the basement of his very nice home.  I'm not sure what became of him either.  In many ways we are fortunate to have the current, extensive, well stocked motorcycle shops.  However, I do miss the "old" days when various unique and rare off-road bikes were in existance, with the little specialty shops that often were the only dealer.  At our old strip mine trailriding area, I recall seeing riders show up on bikes such as a Cooper, Rickman, Maico, Premier, Steens, Broncco, Rupp, Bridgestone, Penton, Benelli, Indian, and of course my own Aermacchi-Harley.  There was something mysterious and special about being exposed to all those rare and unusual bikes.  We've gotten a lot more sophisticated these day, but you know what?  That old stuff was (is!) a lot of fun.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by OhioTed

Having noticed that Speedy's list of bikes includes a Zundapp, thought I would relate the following story:  While wandering through Beaver, Pennsylvania back about 1977, my attention was captured by a storefront business right on the downtown square with a Zundapp sign out front.  I stopped to check it out, of course, and found that sure enough, the facility was a dirt bike shop featuring Zundapps.  The owner's name and much in the way of detail is lost to time, long days in the saddle wearing heavily mud-caked helmets, and various substances I was (accidently) exposed to back then.  That same day, I happened across Ingram's Penton outside of the same town.  Mr. Ingram was operating the shop out of the basement of his very nice home.  I'm not sure what became of him either.  In many ways we are fortunate to have the current, extensive, well stocked motorcycle shops.  However, I do miss the "old" days when various unique and rare off-road bikes were in existance, with the little specialty shops that often were the only dealer.  At our old strip mine trailriding area, I recall seeing riders show up on bikes such as a Cooper, Rickman, Maico, Premier, Steens, Broncco, Rupp, Bridgestone, Penton, Benelli, Indian, and of course my own Aermacchi-Harley.  There was something mysterious and special about being exposed to all those rare and unusual bikes.  We've gotten a lot more sophisticated these day, but you know what?  That old stuff was (is!) a lot of fun.

Thats exactly why SPEEDY has this kind of OUT OF HIS BASEMENT speciality shop.KTM-Hercules-Sachs-Zuendapp.And we keep them alive.:)

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02