Kenny Roberts Flat Tracker

Started by firstturn, March 18, 2004, 10:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

From time to time I have requested information from members on certain models of Pentons with hopes of using this information for future projects. In tracking these different bikes I hope to present suggestions to the Officers and Trustees of the Penton Owners Group for our shows and/or requests for models at shows by groups or promotors.
  I am looking for all the Kenny Roberts Penton Short Trackers out there, any promotional material, magazine articles or any other related information.  I would like copies or I will buy information on related items.  Here is the information I would like initially.
1.  The owner(s) and frame number of any KRP short trackers.***I own one and it is original with the correct seat, tank and engine.  The serial number is #09.***
2.  Any history on your bike or any others that are accounted for on this site.***My bike came from Ron Munson who purchased it in 2000 from Al Buehner.***
3.  Any articles or supporting material.***I have some information on when Penton was closing out the bikes with a bulletin to the dealers.***
4.  Please any questions or stories are invited.

Thanks to everyone for their time.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Ron, Do you have the promo flyer for this model titled "Introducing the Penton/KR", it is one page. Front- introduction and photo of the bike with Roberts and Mike Kidd. Back- there's some specs and another shot of Kidd riding it. I can fax it to you if you don't have it.
Bob

From what I'm reading here it's model name was the "Penton/KR Short Tracker"

firstturn

Rob,
  I would prefer a copy as opposed to a fax.  You are correct on the name(Penton/KR).  I intentially called it a Kenny Roberts Penton to help explain the the motorcycle to people that are not familiar with what KR stands for in the motorcyle world.  But since you have some time on the clock with the KR family (seriously), you and a lot of other people know the term (KR) where I feel part of the people on the forum need more information.  Thanks for your input.

Serial #41 bike located.  Ron Munson owns it and it is currently being prepared as a 400(Penton).  The bike was purchasd sometime back from H&H in Atlanta area.

Al Buehner has one.  I don't know the number.
Paul Danik has one.
Kirk Sessions has one.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rain Man

Ron, I know this is off subject here, but this months issue of the Motorcyclists Post up here in New England has Kenny Roberts famous Yamaha TZ750 powered dirt tracker on the front cover.If your interested, I'll mail you the paper, or the papers address, happy trails
  Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

firstturn

Raymond,
  I would love to have it -  read on.  I can remember the race where Kenny Roberts won (I think it was Indy) and his hands were bleeding from the difficulty of steering/controling a in-line 4 cylinder 2 stroke motorcycle in the Class C Wars.  It was wisely outlawed by AMA.  Probably the Greatest Racer of all times(not that I am overly opinionated):D.  Thanks for memories.
Please mail it to:
PO BOX 272444
Houston,Tx 77277

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rain Man

Hi Ron,  Give me a day or so to finish reading up and I will mail it out to you. It says KR won at Indy on that bike.  the photo was taken at Del Mar, California and you gotta guess who the rider is. I remember seeing that bike and how different it was compared to the XR 750 HD.  a 2 stroke 750!  That thing must fly on the straights!!
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

OUCWBOY

Ron,
I think there was an article in Dirt Bike July 1977, but they called it the KTM Flat Tracker.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

rob w

In the Dec. 1974 Popular Cycling there's an article about a Natl. at Santa Fe Speedway. In that, there's a picture of a Penton dirt tracker with a 400 motor. The caption says "Frank Gillespie rode Al Gaskill's Penton 360 in it's race track debut". Which means there were guys wanting to use the KTM motor long before KR was commissioned to do so. In fact, this race would have been around Sept. or Oct. of 74. That could'nt have been long after the first Mint 400's arrived here. Gaskill was fast in building this one, it could have been the first Natl. caliber Penton flat tracker. I believe Al Gaskill was a Penton dealer around the Detroit area.

rob w

Ron, I know you're very busy, but I have a giant favor to ask of you, [V] and it does'nt have to be done in next month or more. I would like to make a few 250 down pipes, whether yours has one of those Carl Cranke down pipes on it or not, would it be possible for you to get some reasonably apx. dimensions off of it for me, I'll trade you for a shirt or more. Thanks a ton, Bob

firstturn

Rob,
  No problem on getting the dimensions as soon as I finish displaying the bike.  There seems to be more interest in this bike because of people having no knowledge of its existence.  I haven't even done any resto to it and it looks nice.
  There was some talk of my friend having several pipes made from the original(he has a 400 KRP).  Would this be something you would be interested in?  Just let me know.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Raymond,
  Just got home and THANKS for the copy of Motorcyclclists Post.  Is this mine to keep?  Thank you for taking the time to send it.
Respectfully,

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

I'm excited to report that two more KRP Short trackers will be resurrected over the coming months, with every intention to return them to competition in '05.
Thank you Alan Buehner!
Frame numbers #29 and #37.

Bob

firstturn

Rob W,
  That is great.  They went to the right home.  I may have news on finding another KRP Flat Tracker.  Stay tuned.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

Wow, all this talk about these hidden jewels got my mojo up. I would be interested in reproducing original seat pans and side panels.
Would like to know if there were several models or do they all appear basically the same, this will help with the mould selection etc....Can someone please send me a few pics as I have only seen one many moons ago.....
Tom..........
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

Tom,
  I am traveling right now, but would be happy to send you pictures along with what Rob can provide.  I also owe you a picture of the completed front number plate for the '77 Penton.  You ask for a picture last year(no kidding) and it just came back from the paint shop.  I guess DuPont only fills paint orders once a year in Texas[:o)].  

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh