Speedo Mounting Bracket

Started by BrianTaylor, March 21, 2004, 09:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTaylor

My 74 SD came with cow horn handlebars ( no crossbrace ) I have been looking around for how the speedo was mounted and I cant seem to come up with anything that i have that would remotely look like it would work... i cant remember :(what it even looked like I know I had something there :D..... anyone have a pic or be able to describe it to me  thks BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

firstturn

Brian,
  I'm not sure of how the Canadian Penton enduros or enduro kits came from the factory.  I would say you probably had the mount that was bolted into the center of the nut on top of the steering head plate.  I have also seen some that had a Husky type mount, but I feel these were mounted by the dealers or owners after the fact.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Brian,
 We use bars like you describe back when. They were an option from Hi Point. We used innertube rubber bands and the mount that  bolted to the steering head nut. I like that setup the best for trail rideing and enduros. Wish we had someone still supplying those bars for us.
John D.

Kip Kern

You can probably get the bars from Speed and Sport.  They are used on vintage trials machines and come from the UK through Matt.  I just wish I could find a "L" type VDO bracket that attaches to the fork stem nut!  Good Luck

Rocket

KIp
I have an "L" bracket for one of my projects.  Would you like it to see if you can get one duplicated?
Rod

BrianTaylor

Rod could you send a Pic of that bracket ....... maybe thats is what I am supposed to have .. thks BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Kip Kern

Thanks Rod, if you could give some measurements and maybe a digital, I can make it!

metalkfab

Was the "L" style speedo brkt.the same for the steel tankers? I have one from DW that we are going to repop for him and he said it's for a steel tanker and I don't know if it will work for other applications.

Rocket

Karl
The "L" bracket is approximately 1" wide and 3" high with a 90 degree bend with a hole in it.  The short part of the "L" is probably 1" long.  I can take  a picture of it when I get home and send it to whoever wants it.  The hole uses the rubber exhaust mount and that gets fastened to the steering stem nut.  A hose clamp fastens the speedo to the bracket and a inner tube rubber band fastens to the crossbar to control bouncing of the unit.
Rocket

Kip Kern

Karl

If you make the bracket for the CMF early bikes, the little "L" bracket that hooks to the steering stem nut via rubber damper and requires a radiator hose clamp for the VDO, I'll take a few of them.  Thanks again for the R/D;)

metalkfab

Ok guys,the CMF speedo bracket sounds much easier to make than the steel tanker bracket(that bracket is larger,has a big flat plate with (4) holes and large hole for the speedo to drop into and then a curved 90 degree section w/beading and then the hole for the rubber grommet).I can receive a e-mail with a jpeg or fax to (216)741-1589.

Rocket

Karl
I will send you the "L" bracket if you want to duplicate it.  When you are done with it, just send it back.  Post your address or send me an email.
Rocket

BrianTaylor

Rocket , Kip did any one get a pic of this that they can email me thks Brian T      [email protected]

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

firstturn

Brian,
  I will go take a picture of one right now and send it to you.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Brian,
  It should be setting in your que.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh