A few questions for the experts

Started by Chakka, March 24, 2004, 08:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

I am restoring a 1976 125GS. The bike has a KTM motor but does not have the GP frame the later models had. My question is will a pipe off a 1977 w/ a GP Frame 125 fit? They have the same manifold but I think there might be problems where the pipe snakes through the airbox. (I have a fiberglass airbox) not the later aluminum one. If not does anybody have the correct pipe that they are willing to sell?

Next, does anyone have a centerstand available for this bike or know where they mounted to on the ISDT bikes. If I had a clear picture of the mounting I could design and have some built, I am a draftsman by trade and have access to a fabricator.

Last question, is there anyone making replacement tank decals for this model? I have an enduro tank model with the "dog leg" type of decal on the tank.
Here is a link to some picture of the bike:
http://www.members.aol.com/repstd/
Thanks in advance
Chris  

tmc3c

Hey Chris, Are you sure you have a 125 ? It look's alot like my 1976 250 gs and as far as your parts list you might try the suppliers page here in POG.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

john durrill

Chris,
Al B. has nos 125 pipes.
 you will need a 76 parts book to find out which carb came on the 125.
some came with bings and some came with lectrons. how many gears does the bike have ? 5 or 6? if its 5 you may have an MC5 mx model. if 6 then its probly a GS. Larry Perkins could help with the ID on which one you have better.
John D.

tomale

I thought that the 76 frames for both the MC as well as the GS were the same. And then in 77 they changed the frame of the GS to more of the high breather style with the rear fender stay, is that right. All of the MC's that I have ever seen did not have the rear fender stay on them but the GS's did. If so then I would think that the pipe should fit. The 78 MC5 400 has a plastic air box and I have not seen any evidence of over heating on it. Not sure though because I have never looked at a 125 MC or GS that close.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

metalkfab

This bike looks to have a '74 frame with a MC5 swingarm and forks.Somebody else have a idea?

Rocket

I was wondering about the frame myself.  What is the serial number of the frame?
Rocket

OUCWBOY

Ok guys,
I just parted out a 76 125 with KTM motor. The KTM 125 motor wasn't out until 76. It has a different fork assy than my GS had. The swing arms were differnet between the 125 and the rest. My frame is on E bay now. Also my came with a Bing carb, it to is on ebay. The pipe sold last week.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Chakka

Thanks for all the response, here is the serial number off the steering head:  606 90952

Based on that when was my Penton "born"?

I have seen a few Penton 125's like this; in fact I have an old New England Trail Rider ad from 1976 with this model featured. The model in the magazine had a Lectron carb and mine will too. I agree the frame looks almost identical to a 1974 125 frame, when I take the motor out I am going to take an old SACHS and see if it fits just to satisfy my curiosity.

Oucwboy – I wanted your pipe bad but the bidding closed at 3:00am out east. I made it till 1:30 but finally surrendered. I have contacted Al B. and will order the 1977 pipe he has tomorrow. I will make every effort to win the wheels and 125 engine you have up now. Any other items for that bike Id be interested in. Thanks for the help guys.

OUCWBOY

606 equals 1976 June.
Thanks
Just let me know what all you need and I will see if I have it.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Mike Lenz

I have a frame like that. It is a 76 GS 125 frame. Took me years to figure out what that sucker was, in part because mine has NO serial numbers on the Steering head?? Its bacically the 73 Jackpiner frame reworked for the conical r hub and the longer seat. I was thinking about making mine into a 250?? Put a 73 swingarm on it and you would have a pretty neat Penton Sportsman class 250!!

metalkfab

Thanks guys for educating the uneducated.I guess now I'll have to find more stuff '76 and beyond.

firstturn

Karl,
  Maybe Skippy can help.  I know where one of those frames are located.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

606 equals 1976 June.
Thanks
Just let me know what all you need and I will see if I have it.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Mike Lenz

I have a frame like that. It is a 76 GS 125 frame. Took me years to figure out what that sucker was, in part because mine has NO serial numbers on the Steering head?? Its bacically the 73 Jackpiner frame reworked for the conical r hub and the longer seat. I was thinking about making mine into a 250?? Put a 73 swingarm on it and you would have a pretty neat Penton Sportsman class 250!!

metalkfab

Thanks guys for educating the uneducated.I guess now I'll have to find more stuff '76 and beyond.