Throttle that bing

Started by tomale, March 26, 2004, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I have been working on a Bing carb but yesterday I was changing some jets and I twisted on the throttle from stop to stop to make sure that everything was fine and I hear a click and then I did not have any throttle control. The throttle cable had come loose in the slide.. I took it apart and checked every thing and I looked fine so I put it back together and it did it again. Any ideas?
Is the notch that holds cable in the slide worn? Yes I am sure that I have put it back together right? :)
Could it be the cable it self. The cable has a few kinks in it and maybe it is not pulling straight inside of the carb....

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Randy Kirkbride

Thom,
When you twist it wide open then let off, could your needle be binding on the jet? That could let the cable come loose from the slide.

farmer58za

Thom
check that the cap of the carb is sitting the right way around i.e. the cable is offset to the front (I think). Have a look at the slot in the slide where the locating pin runs. It will wear but it should have no steps which may cause the slide to hang up. Do you have that plastic insert that goes below the spring? When that's in place, the cable shouldn't fall out.
Good luck

Regards

David ('75 KTM GS400)
Regards

David

tomale

Thanks guys,
The carb appears to be worn. The slide has seen better days. I did look at the notch where the cable resides in the slide and it did seem to be some what worn. I did check to see if the plastic cap that covers the needle clip was worn but it looked fine. I compared it to another bing and it looked the same. I would have not thought it possible to the cable come loose but it did. Not very confidence inspiring. The only thing that made any sense at all is that when I put it in.... (the slide, spring etc.) back into the carb while it was on the bike. I some how got the cable twisted or some how hung up on the sping. getting it in with out taking the tank and side covers off and what ever else is in the way is very hard. And with a cable that had some unwanted kinks or twistes in it... maybe just maybe that was the problem.
I found a new cable... you will never believe where.... and put it in and wham! the  problem is gone. nothing works like a new cable.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Thom,
  Please e-mail me with you carburetor model number.  
Thanks.

[email protected]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Ron, where is the serial number..
It seems to be the newer model of the 54 I have an older model as well and the slide is different. The slide for the older is a # 1 but the newer... the one in the bike has a 230 slide. does this help?

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Thom,
  E-mail me your phone number.
Thanks,
Ron

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

you must be on line... I email you right now...

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Randy Kirkbride

Thom,
When you twist it wide open then let off, could your needle be binding on the jet? That could let the cable come loose from the slide.

farmer58za

Thom
check that the cap of the carb is sitting the right way around i.e. the cable is offset to the front (I think). Have a look at the slot in the slide where the locating pin runs. It will wear but it should have no steps which may cause the slide to hang up. Do you have that plastic insert that goes below the spring? When that's in place, the cable shouldn't fall out.
Good luck

Regards

David ('75 KTM GS400)
Regards

David

tomale

Thanks guys,
The carb appears to be worn. The slide has seen better days. I did look at the notch where the cable resides in the slide and it did seem to be some what worn. I did check to see if the plastic cap that covers the needle clip was worn but it looked fine. I compared it to another bing and it looked the same. I would have not thought it possible to the cable come loose but it did. Not very confidence inspiring. The only thing that made any sense at all is that when I put it in.... (the slide, spring etc.) back into the carb while it was on the bike. I some how got the cable twisted or some how hung up on the sping. getting it in with out taking the tank and side covers off and what ever else is in the way is very hard. And with a cable that had some unwanted kinks or twistes in it... maybe just maybe that was the problem.
I found a new cable... you will never believe where.... and put it in and wham! the  problem is gone. nothing works like a new cable.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Thom,
  Please e-mail me with you carburetor model number.  
Thanks.

[email protected]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Ron, where is the serial number..
It seems to be the newer model of the 54 I have an older model as well and the slide is different. The slide for the older is a # 1 but the newer... the one in the bike has a 230 slide. does this help?

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Thom,
  E-mail me your phone number.
Thanks,
Ron

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

you must be on line... I email you right now...

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W