POG meeting in Florida?

Started by atk114, March 27, 2004, 03:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atk114

Hello evryone. How does this sound? A POG meeting in beautiful South West Florida next winter. I'm sending this from Naples, about 150 miles south of Tampa, on Florida's Gulf Coast. While many of you are burried in snow, we are riding, surfing, golfing, fishing, and did I mention riding.

I'm a supervisor with the Recreation Department. Our Golden Gate Community Center could be perfect for such a meeting. It's a beautiful facility, 25,000 square feet under air. There are 6 large meeting rooms, Auditorium w/12 foot screen for video/DVD presentations, and a large basketball gym where motorcycles can be displayed. There would be no charge for using the center, and it's just 1 mile from a hotel & country club  (we can get excellent rates on lodging and golfing). We are about an hour away from a brand new MX facility that will include a hare scrambles section soon. We could spend a day out there as well.

The community center hosts a large motorcycle show each year. This past January, over 2,000 people attended. The POG event could happen the same week, (in late January, though we could move this to late February so it's closer to bike week), so visitors from up north could see the show. We have a trials riding demo, free-style MX show, entertainment, great food, and lots of motorcycles, dirt & street.

As I mentioned on this forum before, my dad and his partner owned "Dirt Rider of Naples" in the 70's, we sold and raced Penton's. It would be great to host what I'm sure would be a wonderful event.

Anyway, I would love to hear what you think. I remember someone asking about a POG meeting in Florida in this forum. I look forward to you responses, and suggestions. A special thanks to Ted Guthrie, who suggested I post this on the forum.

Thanks!

Keith R. Larson
Keith R. Larson

Bob Gilman

Keith,  I LOVE your idea. Nothing would be nicer than not having to drive the PA turnpike in ice and snow. Guess I'm a "wimp"!  Anyway, you've got my vote. Its a YES! Bob

Bob Gilman

Keith,  I LOVE your idea. Nothing would be nicer than not having to drive the PA turnpike in ice and snow. Guess I'm a "wimp"!  Anyway, you've got my vote. Its a YES! Bob

jackpinejim

boy, now wouldn't that be something, charter a "snow bird" express for the weekend! more wives would appreciate and participate in this trip. think mabe the 'express' would haul our bikes down too? Keith,we sure appreciate your offer! who knows what lurks in the minds of Poggers?
                  Jim

LynnCamp

I think it is a fantastic idea!  When we lived in Florida, we moored our boat in St. Petersburg, but would always head South to the Naples area.  It is super down there!!!

I wonder if it was planned around the time of the Alligator Enduro, we could draw the people making that trek (i.e., John Penton, Ed Youngblood... not sure who else goes).

tlanders

Just schedule it during the AHRMA bike week races at the beginning of March and you'll get a lot of Penton owners that don't live in Ohio for a change.

Teddy