Fox Shocks Adjustment

Started by El-Viejo, March 29, 2004, 07:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El-Viejo

I want to adjust the preload on my 82 KTM GS-250/II
with Fox Shocks.

I know I do it by moving the snap ring but....... I am
wondering if there is a tool or technique for holding the springs
compressed so I can work with the snap ring.

Any help?

Thanks!

Oscar
Age is a tate of mind and an affliction of the body.

firstturn

Oscar,
  There  is a tool that looks like someone built, they must of had a plenty of spair time, that is (in my opinion) to bulky.  I believe S & W had these tools (man am I dating myself).
  What I had built many years ago was a fork looking piece of flat metal that slips between the spring and fits over the rod.  Then you just preload the sping by turning it with your hand and it takes the tension off the spring to slip ring area.  If you worry about scratching your springs (for show bikes) just put tape on the metal.  I had a handle put on the piece of metal so that it looked factory;).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Hey Ron,
can you post a picture of that? I am just not getting it. It is either that I am not awake or I am too dense.
Thanks.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

El-Viejo

Thom,

I think I get it, but I'll need to go home and look at my shocks before I attest to that.

Thanks Ron - I think I get it.  I'll know for sure tonight.

Oscar

El-Viejo

Ron,

Thanks a bunch!  I couldn't see the forest for the trees.  I should have figured that one out on my own.  Too much work and not enough sleep I guess.  Even at my age, I love learning from the experience of others.

I really appreciate your help.  I will make the tool tonight out out "Sea Teak", a marine polymer material also know as "Starboard", that will make it slide well and protect the paint on the springs.

Regards,

Oscar

firstturn

Tamale,
  I will send you a picture later today.  The wheel I have for a 250/400 is broke.  So much for being Mr. Good Guy, but I will find another.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Oscar,
  The best part is that the difference from the factory tools is this idea has no moving parts and fits in the tool box taking up little space[8D].
  Thanks for helping out Steve on the 1977 - 125.  

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Ron, I will look for the picture tonite when I get home. I have a roof to do and it is raining.....Lot of fun. Thanks for trying on the wheel. It is not like I need it today or anything so when ever is fine. see ya and Thanks my friend.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

El-Viejo

I like no moving parts :D

It was my pleasure to help out Steve.  He is going to send me some pics when he gets a chance.

I am still on the hunt for a 125...  Something between 1973 to 1975  preferably so it's not too tall.  I will continue to keep my eyes and ears open.

Thanks,

Oscar

firstturn

Oscar,
  E-mail me on what you are looking for in the way of a Penton 125.

[email protected]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh