vintage-style grips

Started by OhioTed, April 04, 2004, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Hey T20SL Ted,  Does your shop have any nos Honda parts?  I've got 4 or 5 project bikes for which I need various items.  How about you?
Does the "SL" portion of your moniker refer to the Honda model?  I've got, among others, a really nicely done '70 SL350, but would really love to do an SL100 as a little brother to the twin.  Ted G.

firstturn

Ted,
  Off the subject(but no too far).  There is a tool bag like yours(the tan one) on ebay #2472587814.  Looks like you have a nice collectable:).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

t20sl

Ted, no the T20SL refers to a model of a 1967 Triumph Cub that I have owned since 1965.  Sorry, our shop sold out or returned to Honda all non current parts years ago.  Ron : Thanks for the heads up.  Ted A.

OhioTed

Ok, got another question about this, guys.  I received the "CR" grips from Western Hills Honda, and also happened to purchase a new pair of grips for one of my modern street bikes.  The "CR's" went onto a 1974 Honda XL70.  However, both sets of grips are too short!  They do not extend fully to the switch housings.  Even on the XL, this distance is "set" because the control wires are routed inside the bars.  Measurements show the oem grips to be just over five inches, but the replacements are under five inches, leaving a good 1/2" gap, which looks like heck.  What is going on?  I went through the same thing with my 1970 Honda SL350.  To get the correct style & size of "blister-raiser" grips, I had to scrounge up some used originals.
T20Ted, can you shed any light on this?  Incidently, I love Triumph Cubs, and consider T120's to be the best looking motorcycle ever built.  Sorry to be referencing non-Pentons on our forum, guys, but given the examples noted here, I would think this situation is common to many applications, including John's bikes.

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by OhioTed

I see what you mean about the Renthals, Dwight.  Are they popular on Penton restos?  I cannot tell from the images in Al's catalog what the grips he offers look like.  The folks at Western Hills Honda came through for me on the Doherty's.  Apparently, they (still) have them in stock.  Anyone searching for parts for an old Honda should consider them.  Contact Terry at [email protected].  Stop in to see them at Vintage Days, too.  They are all really nice people.  Now, back to our Penton concerns . . .

I use them on most all my restorations. Penton, PUCH, Hercules, Zündapp, etc.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.