vintage-style grips

Started by OhioTed, April 04, 2004, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

When putting an old bike back together, my personal preference is for the most original appearance possible.  However, one area in which I am coming up short involves grips.  Anyone know of a supplier out there who can help?  While Al has in his catalog, grips that appear to be Maguras, I am also seeking another style whose manufacturer I am uncertain of.  These grips were basically smooth-surfaced, except for horizontal ribs, running across the surface, spaced approx 1/4" apart.  These grips were common to 70's Hondas, like CR's.  Dixie Motorcycle Supply, out of Columbus, Ohio, used to have them, but I cannot currently locate them on the web.  POG member Keith L. put me on to the Flanders Co, and they do list some funky old grips, but not the ones I am looking for.  Any help, folks?

firstturn

Ted,
  I thought the grips you are talking about were the early Hondas.  Those have been my favorites over the years.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ted we use Oriey? the sp is wrong . We get them from a small repair and accesory shop in town. Parts Unlimited may be his suppier.
John & Peter D.

Doug Wilford

Ted;
Try Viking motors he use to have a large supply of the Original Magura Grips.   Have fun!

OhioTed

Thanks for the replies, fellows.  I went through some old magazines and believe I found the name for the grips I am looking for:
Doherty.  Ron, you are correct.  The Dohertys were on Elsinores.  I also had a pair on my '75 Honda MR175, and my son's first bike:  a
'74 Honda MR50.  By the way, are you gonna score that '74 Berkshire as a birthday present to yourself?  It looks pretty nice.  John,  the
Oureys you are referring to are still manufactured, but I believe we are talking about two different styles.  Aren't the Oureys "waffle" pattern?  Thanks also to Doug for the tip on Viking.  I'll check 'em out.  By the way, my magazine search turned up a three-photo sequence of John going into the drink during the 1974 Lonesome Pine National Enduro.

firstturn

Ted,
  You would be surprised how many top riders enjoyed and used the Honda grips, even if the had other sponsers.
  On the '74 I would like to own this bike, but I think it will go high and if it does so be it.  It looks good and the owner is honest.  I know I'm hurting myself by saying these things, but I tell it like it is.
Doug,
  Thanks for the tip on Viking.  I will give Don a call.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Ted, I use these, in diamond, grey, medium compound. They look amd feel vintage to me.

http://www.renthal.com/site/products/grips.htm

Bob

Dwight Rudder

Use either the Renthal Diamond grip in firm or medium. These look like Magura grips but are much better. Never use the soft. It is too soft and easily destroyed with contact cleaner or gas.
You also can use OURY grips . Same as were popular throughout the 70's.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

OhioTed

Many thanks for the info, guys, especially the Renthal data.  Their website includes excellent photos of the grips.  However, the waffle-pattern Renthals, and the Ourys, are just not what I am looking for.
I believe Ron might be on the right track in referring to the Honda application.  Hate to be such a pitnicker, but you guys know how it is - when you're after a certain item, nothing else will do.  I have a good nos Honda parts source here in Ohio - Western Hills Honda.  I will check with them on the Dohertys, see what they can tell me, and report.  Thanks again.  TED

OhioTed

Ted, you da man.  Thank you.  May I ask, how did you manage to score those parts numbers?  Ted G.

Dwight Rudder

Diamond pattern Renthals are not waffle pattern but much closer to original Magura grips.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

t20sl

Ted:  I currently work at a Honda/Harley dealership.  Also worked at a Honda/Triumph/Penton/Husky dealership back in the day.  Ted

OhioTed

I see what you mean about the Renthals, Dwight.  Are they popular on Penton restos?  I cannot tell from the images in Al's catalog what the grips he offers look like.  The folks at Western Hills Honda came through for me on the Doherty's.  Apparently, they (still) have them in stock.  Anyone searching for parts for an old Honda should consider them.  Contact Terry at [email protected].  Stop in to see them at Vintage Days, too.  They are all really nice people.  Now, back to our Penton concerns . . .

tomale

Thanks guys for the info, I was wondering about the availability of the OURY grips. I use to use them on all of my bikes. I had forgotten obout them until I had heard that the man who made the grips had passed away. I was thinking it would be cool to have them on my current bikes.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

OhioTed

Hey Thom,  When you refer to the Oureys, do you mean the "waffle pattern" style?  If so, those still appear to be readily available.  For example, I found them in current catalogs, as well as the same grips, or at least similar-style ones, under the "Scott Hurricane MX"
brand.  If you do get the Oureys, make sure they are not ATV grips.  I saw those right in the dealer's stock, but of course that would be a pair that are both handlebar-size only, with no provision for a motorycle throttle drum.  On the other hand, if you mean the raised-ridge, Doherty, "CR" grips, my buddies at Western Hills Honda have about half a dozen pair in stock, and can get more from Honda.