Hubs & rims

Started by vmx1963, April 12, 2004, 09:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmx1963

Anyone have wise words as to the best finish for hubs?  I've got an alloy rear and mag front. Guess the options are to polish & lacquer or paint or powdercoat?  Also what are the best rims to lace with - is there any modern equivalent to the 'mud catcher' Akronts?

VMX1963
Western Australia
<a target="_blank" href="http://members.iinet.net.au/~allantud/"> VMX KTM</a>

Mike Lenz

IS SUN rims still around? I know as of about ten years ago they were.

Kip Kern

Sun used to be in Indiana but moved:( not sure if they are in business anymore or not.  You can get just about any Penton rim from Walridge motors (Mike) Canada.  When finishing hubs[xx(] I use a fine wire wheel on the inner hub fins to clean and slightly polish.  I use jewlers rouge(sp) to polish the outer hub.  I clear coat the inner hub (finned area) and that's it!  Don't make them too perfect as they were not highly polished from the start! Top it off with Zinc plated spokes and an new rim and you have a beautiful wheel at low $$$[8D]

lksseven

Kip,

'72 Jackpiner ... the hubs were, at some point, painted silver.  I had them beadblasted.  I have polished them with a dremel wire hood (looks like a tiny stocking cap) to knock off beadblasting haze.  Here are my questions:
  - I'm having trouble getting a uniform sheen on the hub surfaces ... any tips?
   - what is the best thing to clean the hubs with before polishing and clear coating?   Lacquer thinner and many clean rags?

Thank you!

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

Randy Kirkbride

VMX1963, Mike & Kip,
I order my Sun rims & stainless steel spokes from Dave at AMS, but they are now made by Buchanan's.