Penton 400 Pipes???

Started by DKWRACER, April 27, 2004, 07:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWRACER

This topic has popped up several times and I wanted to hear what progress has been made. I will have some down time between Albuquerque this w/e and my next race in June, therefore I can pull off a 76/77 pipe from my racer (bullet type/two spring end cap) and send it to the fabber of choice etc....along with some of the drawings on Yahoo Resto Group.....Tom
Thomas Brosius

imported_n/a

Tom,

I ordered a 400 pipe for a '74/'75 400 from Andy at Ace.  It's on its way to me now.  But I don't know anybody who so far has made any pipes for the '76 or '77 models.  I have a list of pipe builders, so if there is demand, maybe there would be interest in having them made.

Glenn

tlanders

Glenn,

Will the first section of the pipe you are getting have a slight taper before the first cone? Or will it be a constant diameter around the 180 degree turn? May I ask what Ace charges for this pipe?

Teddy

imported_n/a

Teddy,

When the pipe comes, I'll get back to you.

Glenn

Mike Lenz

Keep in mind that the 76-77 pipes will mount up to a 74 pretty easy and make the 400's run much better.

DKWRACER

Anyone have Andy's number at ACE....Thanks...
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

Tom,
  The last number I have for Andy is below.  I haven't used his pipes, but it is local for me.  Hope this helps.

Andy at Ace's phone is 281-578-5992

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

Thanks Obbie Wan.........we will see what is in the offering....
Thomas Brosius

imported_n/a

I received the 400 pipe from Ace today.  It comes unpainted for that works look, and has a long built-in silencer.  There are two mounts, the front mount and the middle one by the airbox.

Last year I saw a 400 Penton for sale on E-bay and asked the guy where he got his pipe, because it looked pretty cool.  Ace is the place, he said.  He was happy with Ace's pipes.

Now, that being said, I don't have a 400 engine together yet, so I can't mount it and tell you about that.  It appears to be a nice job, though.

Ace charged $150 for the pipe, and shipping to Chicago was $10.  

Teddy, I'm not quite clear what you mean, "slight taper before the first cone."  It is not a constant radius to achieve 180 degrees, there is a short somewhat straight section, which mimics the stock head pipe.  

I also understand Ace will make a stock spec 250 pipe for the '74-'75s.  

It took a couple of months from when I mailed my money to him to get it.  Andy called to let me know it would take a little while, but that was okay.

If there are any questions, let me know.

Glenn

DKWRACER

Glenn, for what year is the pipe and does it have a removeable rear section for repacking? And, And,And did you send him an original along with the drawings of cones that were on the Yahoo groups board, apparently there is a mod to boost hp by 7 or 8. A pic would do wonders, this price seams very reasonable, I was expecting a lot more....
Thomas Brosius

imported_n/a

Tom,

The rear of the pipe has a cap held on by a couple of small screws, and appears easily rebuildable.  I'll take a few pictures of it within the next few days.  I'll let you know when I do.

The pipe is for a '74-'75 Mint 400.  

I did not provide any specs because Andy was already making them.  I would expect stock performance.  The Keeping Track article on extracting more horsepower is for riders who have the ability to use more.  I'm happy with stock performance.

I think the price is nice.

Also, the pipe felt pretty light, so I weighed it.  Just a shade under six pounds.

Glenn

tlanders

What I am asking is does the diameter of the pipe increase from the beginning of the 180 to the end or is it a constant diameter throughout the whole 180? Teddy

imported_n/a

Teddy,

The diameter is slightly larger at the end of the 180 than at the beginning.  I used a pocket caliper, so it's not just eyeballing.

Glenn