Motoplat questions

Started by rob w, May 02, 2004, 11:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Hi Penton people,
 I just got a few new ignitions and have some questions. I am used to the early 400's having the larger flywheel stamped 180 (I presume that represents the weight). The seller told me these both came off of running '77 400's, but they are stamped 162.
So, my question is- Since the later 400's had weights added to the crankshaft halves, did they then change the weight of the ignition's flywheel to 162.

&

How can I test Motoplat coils to see if they're good.

Thank ya very much!
Robbob

3putt

Hi Rob,
If you are a Vinduro member, go to the files section, and Mark Annan has some info there that might be of interest to you.   If not, then advise me and I will get a copy to you somehow.  Let me know how you make out and good luck !   Nelson   3putt

wnm

rob w

Hi Nelson, I am a Vinduro member big time once a year and only occasionally the rest (mx is still in my blood), but once I become a vintage trail guide here in Michigan, that will change. Thanks very much, that's great to know, I'll check that out.
Bob

imported_n/a

Bob,

Maybe you should ask Dane Leimbach and see what he can add.  

Glenn

Mike Lenz

Yes, some if not all early 74 400,s had the larger flywheel. I seem to remember some breaking cranks due to this. They went to the flyrings to get more flywheel with using the smaller external flywheel. However the smaller flywheel without the flyrings is just fine for MX.