seat foam

Started by Gavin Housh, May 06, 2001, 03:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin Housh

When are we going to get somebody to start making replacement seat foam! All the other vintage Euro bikes have foam available, but I don't know of any for Pentons and KTM. HELP!

Mike Lenz

DITTO! As long as its nice firm foam for us racers!

LINDEMAN

I used new seat foam from Vintage Iron on my 75 seat base,it was for a Ossa GP.It worked great.It might have been a tad thicker.I did not use a stock cover but it looks correct.As for the earlier Pentons I have not researched yet.I need two for 72-73 seats.

gooey

Depending on how correct your resto is to be ... I have found that the 79-80 KTM 250 seat is a VERY near bolt on to the 72-73 style frame ... only mod required is MAYBE a slight ) 1/2" or so shortening of the front mounting "tang" on the frame ... this would not negate the use of a stock seat in the future ....

What you gain is :

A longer, flatter firmer seat ... much more condusive to movement .... and, for one,, Im sure my 40+ year old butt would appreciate the extra support

The front of the seat contours perfectly to the 72-73 style fiberglass tank,, the rear mounts are in the correct position ...

PROBLEM :

these seats ( at least the one I aquired for my now defunct project )

are covered in BLUE vinyl with the "KTM " logo silkscreened on the sides ...

I fixed this by having the seat done in bl;ack vinyl,, and since my project was a 'piner ... i had the upholstery shop add the "penton" letters where the orig. cover had the KTM logo ...

I think these seats may be more obtainable, and I really feel they are a nice upgrade IF you arent building a stocker ( I wasnt)

mine is still for sale for the upholstery costs of 50.00 plus shipping,, but moreover I hope this info helps some of you Penton racers

If Im not mistaken,, Paul tried this swap, too ... any input Paul ???

Bob Garner

Barry Higgins had some seat foam a few years ago that was denser (firmer) than any stock or replacement foam. It was also a little rounder on the top. I am still using mine I bought 4+/- years ago and it has held up fantastic. I called Barry and asked who made it and he said some guy in Texas that he can no longer find. If we could dig this guy up he has our solution.

metalkfab

I'm currently working on seat foam, bases,and brackets for '72 thru '76 model years.(If only my job would let spend more time on this pressing issue)Should have answers to problem within 2 weeks.

metalkfab

I'm awaiting answers from my suppliers on foam.Do we need brackets?(I was thinking stainless steel to elimante rusting).Is there a need for fiberglass bases?

Tony Price

I would think there would be a huge market for brackets.  I have towo pans, and both have broken brackets.

Tony P
Tony

Chris Brown

Hey Tony,
I made new brackets for mine out of 1/8" steel bar stock. Worked out great.
RPM Plastics has the bases.

Chris

Mike Lenz

Bases are also badly needed!

Bob

Mike,

RPM fiberglass has seat bases for CMF Pentons. Not sure which years. Here's their site :

http://www.pe.net/~rpm/

metalkfab

Fiberglass seat bases are in the works with increased fiberglass at all mounting points.They won't be cheap but they will look original.Long and short are currently being prototyped.Should have samples by Mid-Ohio.Also seat foam may be done too,however I need to run at least 100 units of each style to keep the cost below Vintage Iron's price(and that doesn't include assembly).

[email protected]

Please count me in for 3 1972 Six Day seat foams.  Thanks.

bigdanracer

Hi Im still looking for my 77 250 MC5, seat foam and base, Dont forget about the 77 year models.

Posting 07/2002
Yucaipa CA.
Age 51, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s.

Steve Minor

I want to ditto the needs of the 77er's....I too will be needing a 77 seat/foam/cover for my 400 GS6 project.

Steve Minor