To Restore or not to Restore.

Started by STEVEN PAYNE, May 18, 2004, 01:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Keller

I found DKW tank badge reproductions on eurodirt.com
[menue 6 / tank badges, scroll down and you will find different DKW, Sachs and Hercules badges.]
The reproductions seem to be from flexible plastic, the originals are made from embossed aluminium, hard to find...

Leo Keller

JCHubbard

Quotequote:Originally posted by Leo Keller

What I can do is to check the VIN. I have copies of the hand written production lists of most of the DKW End/MC/Boondocker/Hornet models (VIN 417/427/428...)built for the US market (and the 6/7 speed Hercules models too, VIN 427/428/429/451/470/471/485...).

If you need the production date of a Herc/DKW, please contact me off list  [email protected]

...and yes, we tried to find out if there are similar lists existing for Penton/KTM, but Kalman Cseh told me last fall, that there are no such lists as he knows.

Leo Keller

Thank you Leo.
JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

Quotequote:Originally posted by linglewn

John,
I have an original sticker (not decal) that is in good enough condition to be reproduced by a graphics design company. They made two reproductions for me for $65 a few years back. If you want to go that route, I would be glad to loan you the original. The company that I used has moved and I'm not sure they would still offer the same service. Let me know if you would like to see photos of the reproductions. (linglewn at aol dot com)

John and/or Paul,
My DKW MX is complete and original except that I have not been able to find a stock silencer like the one on John's bike. Can either of you help?

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Thank you Nelson. I'll send you a PM soon.  As far as the silencer goes, I have know idea where to find one.  I'm sure they are pretty rare.  I like the picture on the homepage of Jeff & Jack silencer set up.  I think I just read somewhere that they used a period VW exhaust stinger as a silencer.  If I didn't have for this DKW, that's what I'd do too.  Maybe Paul might no where to find one.  I'll be in touch soon.  Thanks again.

John
JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

Quotequote:Originally posted by Leo Keller

I found DKW tank badge reproductions on eurodirt.com
[menue 6 / tank badges, scroll down and you will find different DKW, Sachs and Hercules badges.]
The reproductions seem to be from flexible plastic, the originals are made from embossed aluminium, hard to find...

Leo Keller

Hi Leo,

Tnanks for the info.  I recently purchased the tank badges from eurodirt.com as well.  I'm going to resurrect this bike with a little bit of the patina retained.  The goal is to make it a presentable, mechanically sound bike while trying to retain as much of the period correct and original items as possible.  Just purchased some period NOS front/rear Barum tires.  With this imminent snowstorm coming to the east coast, this will be the perfect weekend to get the bike torn down. Going to the basement to get started in the next hour or two.  Fingers crossed!:)
JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

Well, I was joking with a friend a few weeks ago, that I'm probably going to need a heat gun and razor blades to remove the duct tape that's probably been on this bike for 40 years...Turns out it wasn't a joke.  Good gracious, I've never seen a bike covered with this much duct tape. It took 2-3 hours just to remove the tape! It was like going on on an archeological dig.  And believe it or not, I actually uncovered something on this bike that was pretty exciting and with the wiring intact.   Take a look:

Eureka there's a horn under thar!!!:D

JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

Finally got around to working on the resurrection of this 73 DKW 125 Enduro. Motor is done -- thanks Gary.  Only big items needed is the seat needs to be reupholstered and I have to buy a new rear steel fender.  Other than these items, I have everything needed to finish it (Thanks Al B., Terry E., Paul D., Andre H., and Leo K.) It certainly won't be a garage queen, but at least it'll be clean, re-titled & tagged, completely functional & mechanically sound.

Before 2016
HPIM1496 by john hubbard, on Flickr

Progress -- 2017
DKWprogress by john hubbard, on Flickr

KIMG0113 by john hubbard, on Flickr
JC Hubbard

skiracer

That is going to be a nice ride!  Have fun with it...

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

JCHubbard

Thank you. Installed the motor yesterday and am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out myself.
JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

Well, I finally got motivated to start finishing this little project up.  Been quite a little journey.  Big thanks though to Gary Ellis for the motor rebuild and the HPI ignition/stator set up, and to Paul Danik for providing with some great NOS DKW parts.  Had to reach to some parts vendors in Germany as well - big thanks to them too. Not having lots experience with Sachs 125 motors, had to do alot of research on this site, and so I want to thank and express my gratitude for the POG site as well.

Will spare you all the details, suffice it to say though after gutting the old and decrepit wire harness and fabricating a new one (including front/rr brake switches/headlight switch, and wiring for a rechargeable nimh battery operated horn), installing a new ignition,  and finally locating a good used OEM bing 1/27/19 carb -- it was a thing of beauty to hear that motor light up on the second kick, and then settle into a nice idle this past Sunday. And,it was like watching a Christmas tree light up when all the lights came on.

Only have 4 items I need to finish to wrap this project up: reupholster the seat, have the old front 47 year old front suspension swingarm bearings pressed out and the new ones install (at the local shop now), find & install a vdo holder/cable, and get the bike re-titled in my name.

Look forward to test riding it in the near future.  

JC Hubbard
2017 Beta 300RR
1996 Kawasaki KDX 200
1983 Husqvarna WR 430
1982 Husqvarna WR 430
1979 Maico 400 GS
1978 Maico 400 GS
1978 Bultaco Frontera 370
1979 KTM 400 GS80
1978 KTM 400 MC5/GS
1977 Penton 250 GS6
1974 Rokon RT340
73 DKW 125 Enduro
1971 Maico 400 GS
1968 Maico 360 MC
JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

Got my front end swingarm bearings installed, and installed the swingarm this past weekend. Today I did a mock up with the old seat before I drop it off to get it reupholstered next week.  Nonethless, the little DKW that took me nearly 5 years to resurrect is almost done.  Found a VDO mount, ordered a VDO cable and few other items from Al B. (thank you for your previous help too. Also recently reached out to Leo Keller to thank him again for assistance and guidance. Going to take it on its first little test ride around the neighborhood this weekend. Whew - glad it's almost done!:) Thanks.

JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

Finally got the reupholstered seat installed and few other small items.  Except for the installation of the speedo/cable and adding a tag, it's pretty much done.  Hope to get a chance this summer or fall to break it in and have a little fun.  Again, thanks for all those who helped.

JC Hubbard

ALB

That is a very nice restoration.;) You are going to enjoy riding that bike around your neighborhood. It will attract a lot of attention because it looks so different from all the modern bikes that dominate the street scene today. Especially that Earls front end. [:0]

Thank you for following up with the photos during the past 5 years with your progress on the restoration.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

skiracer

Wow!  Nicely done.  Yes, thanks for all the photos showing the progress on the bike.  Have fun with it!

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

JCHubbard

Without the collective knowledge, support, encouragement, and guidance that I received from so many great POG members here, this resurrection would've been impossible for me to attempt doing.

The POG community and its members are an outstanding resource and wealth of information.  Honestly, couldn't have done it without y'all.

Thank you Al & Jim.
Best,
John
JC Hubbard