To Restore or not to Restore.

Started by STEVEN PAYNE, May 18, 2004, 01:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Just my 2 cents.....it can only be original once. I say clean it up and enjoy it for a while before you decide. Personally, I keep my bikes original unless they are complete basket cases and I have no other choice.

Steve Minor

Dale Sonnenschein

I bought a 73 jackpiner from the original owner last fall. A manual and other papers including the original bill of sale. I wound up leaving it original and just going through it mechanically. It did need a seat cover. And now I ride it.

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
82 husky wr430
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

JCHubbard

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

What is your end use gonna be ? Ride, show ??

Definitely won't be a show bike or garage queen. It will be rider for sure.

Steve, I agree, and have deposited your 2 cents.

Dale, I'm pretty sure now that I'm probably going to do the same thing you did.

JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

Well, I am getting ready to start tearing down the 73 DKW Enduro 125 with the hope of having it completed by late Spring.  With the help of Al Buehner, Terry Everett, and Leo Keller, I think have just about everything I need to get going. Purchased some good reprint manuals, electrical diagrams for this bike on ebay.

Also, with Mr. Keller's help I was able to locate and purchase some new brake shoes in Germany today.  Though the front tire is the original Metzler, it's shot.  So, I'll be looking for some period correct NOS tires in the near future. Thankfully, the bike does run, but I will freshen up the motor, nonetheless. In the meantime, here are some pics I took earlier today of the bike to get me motivated.  Actually have the battery cover as well, but might end up removing the battery tray and not install the cover as well.  We'll see.

Stay tuned. So looking forward to removing all of that duct tape;):D I'll keep you posted

JC Hubbard

Leo Keller

Quotequote:Originally posted by JCHubbard

...  Actually have the battery cover as well, but might end up removing the battery tray and not install the cover as well.  We'll see.

The battery tray is bolted to the frame only. Here in GER you needed a battery for the horn and the flashers that needed DC. You will find the rectifyer in the headlight if it is still there.
The brake light will work with AC too.

I'm not sure if the footrests are original Hercules parts. The #72/73 bikes here in GER had different footrests.

But the bike looks nearly complete except the rear fender.

Leo Keller

JCHubbard

Thank you for the picture Leo.  One thing that I CANNOT find are the apron decals.  I have searched high and low in both the US and Germany, all to no avail.  Even asked Al yesterday at the York Swapmeet if he might know anyone who reproduces or has reproduced them -- nope.  Leo, would you happen to know where I can find those rear apron DKW decals?
JC Hubbard

Leo Keller

Thank you for the picture Leo.  One thing that I CANNOT find are the apron decals.  .... Leo, would you happen to know where I can find those rear apron DKW decals?

I don't think you would find them in GER because the DKW never was sold here. If I remember right, I have seen a reproduction in the www, but this is a long time ago, for sure more than 10 years.
The original was printed on a metal foil. I know that's not very helpful. Maybe Dwight Rudder has an idea?

Leo Keller

JCHubbard

Quotequote:Originally posted by Leo Keller

Thank you for the picture Leo.  One thing that I CANNOT find are the apron decals.  .... Leo, would you happen to know where I can find those rear apron DKW decals?

I don't think you would find them in GER because the DKW never was sold here. If I remember right, I have seen a reproduction in the www, but this is a long time ago, for sure more than 10 years.
The original was printed on a metal foil. I know that's not very helpful. Maybe Dwight Rudder has an idea?

Leo Keller

Vielen Dank Leo.

In the meantime, if anyone knows where I could find these decals or may know someone who can reproduce them, I would greatly appreciate if you could share that information with me.

Regards,

John
JC Hubbard

JCHubbard

The owner of this bike in this youtube video, looks like thet the owner might be a POG member (his tank was signed by Dick Mann, Speedy Clausen, Bouchard Lenz, Doug Wilford, and John Penton).  I was wondering after watching this video if anyone might know who it is?  Any help would be much appreciated.

And, I apologize for seeking advice about my DKW on here, but there are no other forums in the US that would have as much info as they do here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnGXr0Nzy-E

Thanks,

John
JC Hubbard

gooddirt

I will  have some made one of these days ;the set up is the main cost....

gooddirt

I will  have some made one of these days ;the set up is the main cost....

Paul Danik

John,

First off, I am sure no one minds your asking about DKW information on this forum, it is all very interesting and informative.

I bought a small DKW inventory this spring from the widow of a dealer "back in the day", mostly for the Sachs engine inventory. I just went thru it again and have not found any of those decals, but they are listed in the parts book so possibly you can find them.

I do think I have some items spread across my basement floor, as I did a very through search for those decals :), that possibly could help you, along with dealer sales brochures that might help you as well.

Also, included in the buy was the dealers personal DKW Enduro that is absolutely pristine with very few miles on the clock, and it has a legal title allowing it to be road licensed. I will be glad to take photos for you if needed of any questionable areas. I do intend to sell off the DKW inventory as a whole, as well as the bike as I continue to consolidate my inventory of parts and motorcycles through the winter, so if you need pictures or a few seperate items you have a window of opportunity of about a month or so. Lots of factory to dealer paperwork as well as factory info included in with the stuff, a wealth of information on Hercules Distributing and Teddy Lapadakis as well.

If you need anything   [email protected]

Hope this helps and good luck.
Paul

JCHubbard

Thank you gooddirt.  

Wow Paul. That's great. Thank you so for being so helpful -- very much appreciated.  I will send you a PM in the next couple of days.
JC Hubbard

Leo Keller

What I can do is to check the VIN. I have copies of the hand written production lists of most of the DKW End/MC/Boondocker/Hornet models (VIN 417/427/428...)built for the US market (and the 6/7 speed Hercules models too, VIN 427/428/429/451/470/471/485...).

If you need the production date of a Herc/DKW, please contact me off list  [email protected]

...and yes, we tried to find out if there are similar lists existing for Penton/KTM, but Kalman Cseh told me last fall, that there are no such lists as he knows.

Leo Keller

linglewn

John,
I have an original sticker (not decal) that is in good enough condition to be reproduced by a graphics design company. They made two reproductions for me for $65 a few years back. If you want to go that route, I would be glad to loan you the original. The company that I used has moved and I'm not sure they would still offer the same service. Let me know if you would like to see photos of the reproductions. (linglewn at aol dot com)

John and/or Paul,
My DKW MX is complete and original except that I have not been able to find a stock silencer like the one on John's bike. Can either of you help?

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125