Penton MX History 101

Started by Admin, May 19, 2004, 08:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

Rob it sure is, I was talking with a friend the other day and we were talking about helmets and I mentioned that I had been  a Gary Nixon fan. as a result I had painted a white four corner star on top of my bell open face helmet, just like Gary had. As it turned out he is more of a fan than I. I use to go the the San Jose mile to watch the big bikes roar around the track at speeds at more than a 100 miles an hour. The half mile was fun but nothing can compare with the mile. I understand now that the only mile track still being used is springfield. That is a shame. My brother had been a local flat track expert but the speed scared me. I alway prefered the challenge of motocross. which is odd since none of the original guys I learned to ride with rode motocross only me and even the guys I use to ride with from work never rode more than two or three motocross races. I was hooked after my first race. Life is strange sometimes. who would have thought that I would be a Pentonite when I had never seen at the local races only the pictures in the magagines and a few Pro's at the the Trans Am races.. Like I said life can be strange.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

OUCWBOY

Gary was one of the best class C guys around and he was from Oklahoma too! Another great Okie Flat Tracker was the late great Freddie Nix.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Steve Wise

Thanks Ron for calling me and informing me about my old Penton on this web page.  I have so many great memories about those bikes.  The race track in Lockhart was one of my favorite stomping grounds of that bike.  My dad had a Honda dealership before the CR's so he decided to also add the Penton line only so I could be competitive in Texas MX.  I am so thankful to my Dad for giving me the chance to be successful in MX.  Enjoyed talking with you ROn.
Steve Wise

Steve Wise

Quotequote:Originally posted by Admin

This month we will have on going questions about the homepage photo and its rider.  Please have some fun and join in if you think you can add any questions pertaining to the subject.  Thanks to Ron Carbaugh for providing the photo and the questions.  

This Penton is unrestored and generally in the condition that it came off the track.  So let's get started!

http://www.pentonusa.org/index.html

1.  What year and size and any added accessories?
2.  Who was the rider of this Penton?
3.  It won some important races.  What races?  (This is a very difficult question.)
4.  What magazine article does this bike appear in? Magazine? Date?

Steve Wise

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

It all began on Dec. 1, 1979 at Carlsbad Raceway, the brainchild of promoter Gavin Trippe who wanted to bring together the worlds top motorcycle racers for an all-star race to be televised on ABC's "Wide World of Sports".

Trippe designed a course that had elements of every form of motorcycle racing, motocross, road racing, flat tracking, TT racing, and speedway.

Kent Howerton won the first "Super Bikers" ....Steve Wise won the next two, followed by Danny Chandler and Eddie Lawson.

I can't say who Steve Wise beat the years he won, I would guess it to be guys like Wes Cooley, Sprinsteen, Randy Goss, Steve Eklund, Mike Bell, Gary Semics. I don't really know, that was my blacked-out period in motorcycling , but it's fun to try to think of those guys again.

Thanks, Ron

Steve Wise

I guess I am having trouble getting into the right place on this site to post.
SW

Tennessee Vol

Steve,
 Great to see you on the POG site,and thanks for putting your input into the thread.I was 12 years old when you won the superbike race I remember watching it and going nuts.It was one of the main reasons I started racing and continue today.
 Also I caught a replay of it on ESPN classic Wide World Of Sports a while back it brought back some great memories.
 Keep us informed from time to time.

Bobby Joe Stults
Bobby Stults

OUCWBOY

I really wanted to play this game, but was told I couldn't cause I would have known all the answers. I once tuned for a young man that raced many times against Steve. I have seen the big W on the number plates more times than most.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Donny,
  The gag order is off.  Thanks for offering others a chance for the fun.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Question # 6  Answer:
  Thanks Rob W for the correct answer on #6 which was The Superbikers.  Some of the people that Steve bested that day were Kenny Roberts,Andre Malherbe, Eddie Lawson, Hakan Carlqvist and Wayne Rainey.  In my opinion it is difficult to imagine the gathering of these greats (eagles) and have one winner because you see, they are all Champions.

Moving on.....

Question #7
  In 1981 Steve Just missed winning the USGP at Unadilla, although he did win the second moto.  But in 1982 he ran a race at the first of the season that was the talk of everyone in racing.  He shocked a sigment of the racing faternity and I will say it goes down as the most memorable and greatest race I have wittnessed.

What race am I refering to and where was it held?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Howdy Ron,

Feb. 7, 1982...AMA Camel Pro Series..."The Wild West TT National"...Houston Astrodome. Houston, Texas

Wise a converted motocrosser, had never raced in a TT event before that Feburary evening, but the Rookie of the Year canidate came from the back row for his stunning third-place finish.

Also in 1982 Steve Wise began his road racing career, finishing in the top five in five out of six races, best road race finish being 2nd at Pocono, besides the third at Houston in the dirt he also got an eighth at Peroia.

Steve Wise was the 1982 "AMA Professional Athlete of the Year"

Thanks Ron :)
Bob

firstturn

Rob W,
  Thank you for your incredible homework you put in to make the Quiz fun.  You are correct and I never dreamed you or anyone else would have came up with the Wild West National.  In  those days (early 80's) Houston Astro Dome races set the show for the year.  It came actually before Daytona.  There was a huge trade and consumer show at the same time.
  Steve did go on to place 3rd at Daytona Road Race the next year which is an incredible feat.  He also won a Super Bike National at Mid-Ohio that year.  Unfortunitely at Road America his throttle stuck wide open and he crashed at over 90 MPH.  Steve crashed again at Laguna Seca and that was basically when he had to make the decision to move on with his life.
  Steve then formed Christ Ministries and has been a moving force in motorcycle industry and racing in helping others find their way in life.

Rob - I want to tell you I pride myself in remembering a lot about the 70/80's, but knowing where the information is and finding it is sometimes better than memory.  I am going to send you a gift for your RIGHT ON ANSWERS.  I am going to send you a Brand New Program  from that 1982 Astro Dome race.  You may want to bring it to Mid-Ohio and show the people the cover.  The guy on the cover was last months rider on the Quiz-Mike Kidd.
  Also special thanks to Steve Wise for visiting the Forum.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Ron, I found all my info in the "AMA/Camel Pro '83 Racing Guide" which oddly enough, I picked up and have saved ever since that same 1983 race at Road America that you mentioned. I usually went to that national in those days...the following year there at Elkhart Lake, I helped/tuned for a privateer friend (Dave Busby), and he won his only AMA Grand National event in the Castrol GP250 class.....more stories for another day. Oh yeah, in '83 my only bike was a Honda VF750F Interceptor, same model as Steve Wise was racing.
Thanks for the fun,
Bob

rob w

Ron,

Oh yeah...the Houston Astrodome, was'nt that once declared the ninth wonder of the world.
 I think that's why the "Texas Board of Tourism" came up with that catchy ad slogan "Remember the Alamo", they were afraid no one would go there again once they got a load of that dome in Houston.

If I could get a replay of a race run at the Astrodome, it would have to be from the "Yamaha International Motocross Super-Series" race on March 15, 74.
 Penton rider, Buck Murphy won the first moto over Jones, Pomeroy, Karsmakers, etc......

Quote: "Murphy fought back and used the superior power of his Carl Cranke tuned Penton to pull away from Karsmaker's mono-shocked Yamaha on the straights, to hold series points leader Pierre securely in second place".
 Murphy got a third the next day, third over-all in the series, and Penton rider Ron Huffman took tenth in that 250cc series in '74.

Just babbl'n again,
Bob

tomale

Ron, thanks for letting Steve Wise know about his bike on our beloved POG site. I remember Steve and was impressed with his ability to race so many motorcycle disciplines and do it with such impressive  results. Once I had my conversion to christianity I saw an Ad in Motocross Action and was jazzed to say the least. I was glad to see someone reach those no one else cared about. I for one prayed for him but I never did contact him. Who better to speak into a racers life than another racer. Welcome Steve to a great place on the Web. I have always wanted to do something to reach fellow racers but felt I was no where near ready or up to the task.
Way to go Steve.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W