Started by sdm, June 02, 2004, 08:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdm

There is a 76 KTM 125 for sale kinda close to me for $600. Obviously
alot depends on the history of the bike but I don't have any info or
experience with that model to know what I am looking at. Does anyone
out there have any experience or recollection with this model to
share?
  I know to check the obvious things like compression, spark and seals , and completeness etc. Was this the second year of the KTM
engine?
Thanks for any info...
Sam McMurry

The bike is about a 2 hr drive from me...

tmc3c

Hi Sam, When I was 16 I had this bike and my Father bought it for me brand new ! I flat tracked it and it was fast "stock" as the Honda's elsinor's cheating !! it was sweet and handled great also, you could broad slide that baby with your feet up on the pegs !!:D Sorry !! Where was I.......Oh yeah, if it is anything don't tell anybody where it is !!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Chakka

Hi I have a 1976 125 GS I am rebuilding now. I can't tell you much technically becuase I am planning to send my motor out for a rebuild so I have not looked into it. Al B. has part catologs for that year frame and motor, well worth the investment. There are lots of past posts on this bike (not all positive) if you search the past postings. This bike has always been my favorite Penton. If you need help with parts I have located most everything exept the ellusive GS exhaust pipe I need desperatly.

Chris

sdm

Thanks for the response guys..
I put the post in before getting more info on the bike and I think
it is a bit older than 76. After quizzing the fellow he said it has
a German Sachs motor and a green gas tank and it said Penton on the
seat. Sounds more like a Six Day to me so I am going to go look at
it tomorrow. I just hope I'm not too late!!!! Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the last Sachs powered Penton the 74?? I'll
let you know what I find out!

Thanks for the help..
Sam

tmc3c

Mine was a 76 and it was sachs powered ! Penton on the seat with ktm if not mistaken. Green Tank with long white stripes down the tank with Penton on them. Yellow number plates, stand up rear shocks, even though the 250 came with lay down shocks. Plastic fenders,Metzlers,leather tank strap.ceriani front forks. I can't remember the rims due to mine being switched out for spool wheel.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

I belive that 125 was Sachs powered until 78....but I could be wrong just as easy.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rob w

The existence of the wisdom you seek, is revealed in "production years".

:)

sdm

Thanks guys
Rob W I found that info you are referring to after I posted.
Thanks again
Sam

tmc3c

I told you I could be wrong !! Maybe mine was a late 75 and I got a free ride in the EMS in 76 ! somethong like that....... who has all of those old CYCLE NEWS again ? was that you Rob ? Maybe you can tell me better,when did I crash ? I remember Super Joe was jumping a Ducati  that night and we both ended up in the same Hospital. We started out at Charleston Speedway. Sam, I am sorry for the bad info!! I should have sent you to the same place,I could have swore mine was a 76!![^]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

76 is a confusing year for seveal reasons. Early in 76 the 125 had the sachs engine but in mid year the bikes came with the new 125 motor. This is true of not just the 125 but also the 250 and I think the 400. The first time I ever saw a MC5 framed bike was in late spring of 76. I was told it was a new model and I like it so much that as soon as I could I put an order in for one. As I understand early in 76 the 250's were still using the same frame as the 74 and 75.
In 81 there was a guy around the corner that had a 76 MC5 125 It looked just might mine but it had the smaller KTM motor. I am not sure about the Jackpiner.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Thank You Thom !! I've still got it !! I thought I had lost what little bit of a mind I had !! Yeah 1976 125 Penton with a Sachs engine with a lot of neutrals just to keep you on your toes!![:p]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

vmx1963

This MC 125 is claimed to be a 75 model but I can't be sure about that.  Leading axle forks on a 75?

VMX1963
Western Australia
VMX KTM

Steve Minor

The easiest way to determine age is to post the frame and engine  serial numbers.......
Steve Minor

Lloyd Boland

I have a 1976 KTM 250 mc5 and it looks just like the pictured bike above except it is a 250.  A couple of questions:
1. My decals on the tank and side panels are really a mess and I was wondering if anyone has made repoductions of the MC5 decals?
2. I am going to be buying a new set of side panels soon, so does anyone know the closest match for the "red" and "yellow" colors on the side panels for this year?
Thanks.
Lloyd

DKWRACER

Lloyd, the decals for both GS and MC5 are available from Skip Miller in Texas, I know of no side panels produced with the colors embedded. I do have fiberglass repos the can be viewed under the Suppliers section at the top of our website. Skip Miller is listed under the Members section....talk to you soon....
Thomas Brosius