1978 MC5 400CC Value?

Started by penton117, June 23, 2004, 03:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penton117

Hi Guys,

I know this is subjective, but could someone give me a fair market value on a bike I just picked up? It is a 1978 KTM MC5 400cc. It is in real nice, original condition. Original, untorn seat cover, original shocks, which look like Works performance but I am not sure. It is white in color with a red / orange frame and forks and really appears unmolested and original. The best part is that after cleaning out the carb and putting in new gas (it has been sitting a long time) it started right up! :D

So now the question - what's it worth? and also would it be competitive in post-vintage races?

Thanks guys,

Don

Larry Perkins

Don

Those bikes seem to bring $1000 to $1500 in good running condition.  They are collectible because it was the only year they made them like that but not very competitive with equal riders in GP class because that includes 1978 to about 1981 and the changes were happening real fast then especially in suspension.  There will be people saying I have done this and that racing these in AHRMA but I must stress equal riders definition.  The motor is basically the same as a 1975 KTM 400 and thus the power is about the same.  Congrats on the find.

Rocket

Don
Like I have said before, depends if I am buying or selling on what it's worth, are you selling? [8D]
Rocket

I know this is not the answer you are looking for and I sure someone will post on what the value would likely be.  A bike that runs, in the condition you describe should be worth pretty good money.

rob w

I'll bet you could just throw some 35mm forks on a '78 and ride it in the Historic Class as a '77, what do you think...?

Nice find Don...I'm gonna say, $1500-2000

:)Bob

Larry Perkins

No can do, Rob as the rear has too much travel.

penton117

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input on my latest find. Here is a link to a photo of my bike.  http://www.spodeteam.com/400KTM.html

Thanks again,

Don

Larry Perkins

Don

Nice bike.  That looks like a GS6 tank and pipe, though.

Larry

rcrump1

Larry;
The pipe on my 78 GS6 has a different end cap on it with the Super-Trapp type metal discs in it. I'm not sure if this is factory or not. Do you know?
Richard

Rain Man

Funny this subject of value on a 400 came up on the same day someone in Northern Me. replies to my want add and ask if im interested in a Lady owned 1976 Penton 400 moto cross.[?] Pristine condition, hardly a scratch, all original 1.5k dollars.
   Cant wait to see it.  The last one I saw had a chrome tank and was stuck in a bottomless quagmire Some 28 years ago. That one your buying Don looks like its in fantastic shape, I can give you more feed back on Saturday when I get back as far as condition comparison.
keep it off the road and in the ditch now.
Raymond
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Larry Perkins

Richard

I thought the Supertrapp pipe end was an add on but someone like Mike Lenz would know for sure.  I left the game as the 1978 models came out with the statement, "I'm pregnant!"

rob w

Yes from what I've been told, there were brand new Pentons delivered to the dealer equipped with a add-on SuperTrapp end cap. (the slip on mounting I.D. is apx 2 5/16", with 3 screw holes)

I picked up a 77 MC5 400 (for someone else) about 2 months ago, that's the way it was set-up, and that's the way the owner said it was brand new.

I also got what was left from a small NOS inventory of Penton parts out of Flint Indian Sales and Thumb Cycle Sales. In that Penton inventory were misc. replacement parts for these SuperTrapp silencers.

bob

Steve Minor

A fellow POG member sold me a pipe for my 77 400 GS6.......has a Super Trapp on it.
Steve Minor

tomale

I realize that my view maybe differnt than some of the others, so I submit it with respect for those who may know more than I.
I have a 78 400 that looks just like it. Including the the tank and pipe. That tank maybe larger but it looks just like the tank on my bike. As for the pipe mine looks just like that too. I took the pipe apart a couple of weeks ago to clean it out and there is no spark arrestor in it. I have yet to race it but I have rode it twice now and it is pletty fast. I guess that it depends on the track but my experience with open class is that most riders do not know what to do with all the power anyway. They seem to go fast on the flat straights but slow in the rough stuff. And if you can handle the power even if it is not as much as the maybe some of the other guys then I think you are ok. As for the suspension. Well that is something different. The shocks should have been as I understand Marzoks. That is what is on my bike. I think that a set of Works Performance would be a plus. And if you can set the bike up well. that should make up at least in part for any weakness that is inheriant in the bike now.
I am not all that convinced that the suspenision is that far off anyway. Maybe I am way off but I do not think so. If you look at what is being race now at least where I do I do not see much of anything but the Yamaha's Honda did not make a 400, susuki did but it was not that competitive with out doing alot of work to it I am not sure about Kawa but then I never was. what else is there? Maico maybe Husky I do not think so, not CZ. I do see quite a few maicos but then is that because they are competitive or because they had a cult like folowing. Not that they are bad I had one and loved it.
Back then as now, the pros all rode the big 4 stuff but then all the money was there too. I for one have always believed that the KTM was just as competitive as any other bike,  but they never had the money to promote it like  Japan's bikes. When McGrath was setting up to put together a KTM team to race here in the states I was glad because I felt like maybe KTM would finally get what they have deserved all along. A winning Moto cross team here in the states. They have done so well at everything else and have never really scored much in the way of points in US motocross or supercross.
I had bought my first Penton/KTM because they were competitive right out of the box. And at the time I had asperations of riding as a pro, which never happend but it was not because of the bike! If I was to do that I was going to need a bike that would hold up, not require alot of maintaince and would require very little to compete with all of the guys that had big time sponsors and such. KTM filled that bill very well. I still think that is true today. Was not that John Pentons dream for a bike?
I think that 1500 is a fair price for that bike. that is what I payed for mine and a friend bought a 77 400 for the same price.
Would I sell it for that, no way. but then I would not sell anyway.
John's dream lives on![8D]
If I am all wet... throw me back into the water!

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

OUCWBOY

Hey guys,
My old 78 MC5 has the same pipe as this one.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR