Mid-Ohio..What to expect ???

Started by maicobuddy, June 25, 2004, 12:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maicobuddy

Hi Guy's,
Since this will be my first trip to Mid-Ohio I thought I'd ask some of you guys that have been going for awhile what to expect..I'm pretty sure I'm going to be buying some stuff at the swap meet (if my wife doesn't find my stash of cash)..can you drive close enough to get your goodies to your ride..or do you need to bring a wagon? what the food situation? Etc...any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks, maicobuddy :D

Rocket

If you have a wagon, it would not hurt to bring it.  The swap meet area is huge and it is possible to park on the south side of the swap meet are, but it would still be quite a walk carrying anything heavy for very long.
They have food vendors on site.  I have never left there hungry.
What else can you expect? FUN :D
Rocket

crash carden

Howdy maicobuddy, here's a few tips that might help you out at Mid Ohio. #1 take a cooler with your own drinks and food/snacks, a bottle of water will cost you $4.00 from the venders,and that was last years price. As you might guess cokes and food are not cheap either.#2 I always take some sun screen it gets hot out there,and its a three day event so you can get cooked! I also order my tickets in advance, 3 day general admission is only $24.00, just call 1-800-mid ohio,and put them on your credit card. I do the willcall thing and the tickets are waiting on me when I drive up. At the gate it will cost $30.00.I look at it like this, every dollar I save is another dollar I can spend on bikes or parts! Its a great event,tons of vintage bikes,parts,fun,and you will meet a lot of good people. If its got to do with vintage dirt bikes and motorcycles it will be there. As Rob W. say's "It's a feild of dreams"! Have fun! Crash Carden,Go Team Penton!

Dwight Rudder

A broad brim hat and sun screen doesn't hurt.  I also use a back pack to haul stuff in and frequently make hauls to camp.
Debbie and I are looking forward to seeing everyone.
Many of the VINDURO guys will have name badges. Someone with the POG group should make up some POG name badges to ID our friends. Sounds like a good job for Young Ted.

Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

firstturn

Dwight,
  Tell Debbie we will be looking forward to seeing her.  The Brim hat is a must.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

Crash,
When you do the "will-call", when do you get there for the gates to open? And is there a preferred spot for tents and/or Pentonites? Don't want to sit in traffic, but don't want to be way early either;)

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

swamp fox

Maicobuddy,
I need to get up to your shop and see what you've got someday. Where in Summerville are you located? I'm in Mt. Pleasant, but just never get up there unless I buzz by on the Interstate.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

firstturn

Robert,
  All good questions.  I have a web site that should answer 99% of your questions.  Camping is separated from the swap meet.  Anything that isn't answered please ask.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/vmd/2004/index.asp

Hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

crash carden

Hello Robert, If you do the will-call tickets theres no waiting. Just drive up to gate # 2 and say will-call tickets give your name and show a photo ID and they will hand you your tickets and your in.Its fast and easy. Last year I got there about 8 AM and the gates were open,however I do not know if they open earlier. Have fun its a blast! Oh boy I can't wait!:D

swamp fox

Thanks Crash & Ron,
I'll double check times when I call the track. If there's anything pertinent, I'll post back here.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

maicobuddy

Hi All,
Wanted to Thank everybody for there responces..alot of good info..I've got to tell you guys I've been waiting since '02 to get to Mid-Ohio..but in '02 my brother a SCHP Trooper was shot and killed on July 7th..needless to say Mid-Ohio was the last thing on my mind..then last year we had the Trial and even though we got what we wanted it still took months to overcome the emotional strain..so here we are and I gotta tell you guys I could really use 3 or 4 good days of racin', watchin' & bench racin' for therapy..so I hope see some of you guys there..who knows you might even convince me that I need a Penton(the Wife will kill me)..again Thanks for the info..Buddy[8D]

OhioTed

Buddy,  Great to hear you will be at VMD.  You will most certainly find the experience well worth the effort.  Another couple of items to remember to bring along are a pencil and a note pad - a little spiral one, that fits in your pocket.  This will enable you to jot down names, e-mail addresses, phone #'s, etc, of all the fine folks you will meet - especially fellow POG members.  A finer group you will never meet.  Very sorry to hear of the loss of your brother.  I have lost two, and unfortunately know all too well the tragic effect on the entire family.  As far as Mrs. Maico "lowering the boom" on you, should you bring home a Penton - we would hope that she may consider the big picture.  Life is too short to deny oneself something as simple and basic as an old motorcycle to play with.  All things considered, our hobby is cheap, cheap fun.  And the people involved - well, let's say we're not exactly "born to be wild".  Also, I have found that puttering around out in the garage with the old bikes has done a lot to keep me sane in these times of considerable stress and anxiety, over job, bills, terrorism, growing old, etc, etc.  So, get on over to VMD for a weekend and enjoy.  Forget that the rest of the world exists.  VMD IS a world unto itself, in which untold numbers of two-wheeled treasures are brought out for showin' and ridin' and racin' and fun.  And you know what?  This old world needs more of that kind of simple fun.

Mick Milakovic

Concerning will call:  I am racing and expect to get those tickets from gate 3.  Will I then have to drive to gate 2 for the others?  Also, I'll be arriving about 6pm on Friday.  What's the best place to camp/park in the pits?  Finally, I know pit bikes are not allowed to and from the swap meet, but can you use a pit bike in the pits?

Mick

Rocket

Maicobuddy
Very sorry to hear about your brother.  Very sad to hear about a police officer killed in the line of duty.  A friend of mine's son just became an Illinois trooper in the Chicago area.  Makes me worry about his safety, especially for a rookie.
Rocket

swamp fox

Mick,
I just called & bought my tickets for camping/weekend pass. The young lady talked me into getting my tickets in the mail. She sort-of sounded like I would have to bounce between two gates if I did the will/call, but I'm not quite sure if she was right. Anyway, the gates open at 7:00 am on Friday morning, and I too was wondering if there was a prime spot to pitch a tent. I'm leaning toward a short walk to the showers. If anyone knows any better, I'm all ears;)

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S